Don B. Huntley College of Agriculture
The Animal & Veterinary Sciences Department at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin in Fall 2018.
Teaching: Tenure-track faculty position providing instruction in the Animal & Veterinary Sciences Department, Don B. Huntley College of Agriculture, for under graduate courses focusing mainly on the Pre-Veterinary Science program and possibly in the Animal Health Science program if candidate possesses particular degree requirements necessary for instruction in the program (i.e., DVM or equivalent). The workload is based mostly on teaching; however, faculty are also expected to seek external funding to secure assigned time for research/scholarship activities. Assigned time will be provided during the first two years of the appointment towards class preparation and development of research/scholarly activities
Research/Scholarship: The new faculty member will conduct research/scholarly activities commensurate with area of expertise and seek collaborations with other faculty or external organizations (e.g., industry).
Service: Committee service to the Department, College and University will also be expected. The new faculty member will participate in departmental service including curriculum development, program assessment and development, service to the college and university.
Compensation: Salary and rank are commensurate with experience and qualifications. Fringe benefits are considered competitive when compared to other institutions.
Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a demonstrated commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply. Applicants must submit a Student Success Statement about their teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced).
Ph.D. in Animal Science or related field and/or DVM/MVM or equivalent by August 1, 2018.
- Evidence of collaborative work and willingness to work with and collaborate with research faculty and work in partnership with animal units and centers.
- A working knowledge of food and fiber animals or companion animals, and/or animal science, production and management.
- The candidate’s sub-discipline may include expertise within the animal/companion animal sciences (Genetics, Endocrinology, and Reproduction).
- The ability to conduct research in applicant’s area of expertise.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and enthusiasm for teaching students.
- Demonstration of ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and/or service, and of commitment to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.
- Three or more years’ experience in animal sciences at an institution of higher learning.
- Demonstrated experience in one or more of the animal industries and professional organizations.
- University experience in teaching.
- Experience in the following areas is preferred: Genetics, Endocrinology and Reproduction.
- Successful scholarship, including research and grant writing experience.
A completed application will consist of:
- A cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
- A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- A completed application form, available at http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication_feb2017.pdf.
- A Student Success Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced).
- For finalists, an official transcript showing highest degree earned will be required;
- Finalists for the position will be required to provide three recent letters of reference.
Please address all nominations, inquiries, requests for application forms, and application materials to:
AVS Faculty Search Committee
Dr. Shelton E. Murinda, Chair
c/o Jenifer Cazares, Animal & Veterinary Sciences Department, 2-123
California State Polytechnic University
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909-869-2089 or 909-869-2216; Fax: 909-869-2099
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Department web address: http://www.cpp.edu/~agri/departments/avsd.shtml
Additional information is available at http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/open-positions/index.shtml and http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/open-positions/college-unit/ag/index.shtml.
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the College
The College of Agriculture is the original college when Cal Poly Pomona was founded with more than 500 acres of agricultural land and facilities. All full-time faculty are dedicated teaching professors and scholars having strong contacts within the agricultural and food industries. The College of Agriculture was founded in 1938 and currently has an enrollment of ~2,000 students. As the founding college of the University, instruction in the College of Agriculture is offered in eight majors leading to the Bachelor of Science degree. There are three Master of Science subplans offered in Agricultural Science, Nutrition and Food Science, and Plant Science.
The College of Agriculture prepares students for careers in a wide variety of positions throughout the agricultural, food, apparel/textile industries, environment, science, and healthcare fields. Careers opportunities are found in business, industry, education, conservation, recreation, specialized services, governmental work, as well as production. Positions vary from technical and analytical to creative and entrepreneurial. For further information, visit the College website at: http://www.cpp.edu/~agri/.
About the Department
The Animal & Veterinary Sciences Department offers a four-year curriculum leading to a Bachelor of Science degree in Animal Science with subplans in Pre-veterinary Science/Graduate School, and Animal Industries Management. The Pre-veterinary Science/Graduate School subplan meets requirements for admission to most schools of veterinary medicine, related medical technical fields, and for graduate study in animal nutrition, meat science, animal breeding and animal physiology. The Animal Industries Management subplan is designed to prepare students for employment as managers of equine enterprises and related agribusiness opportunities in the equine industry.
Animal Health Science is offered by the department as a separate major. A Master of Science degree in Agriculture with a subplan in Animal Science is also offered. Specializations available within the degree are animal nutrition, animal breeding, meat science, and animal physiology.
The department maintains 330 acres of range land and 100 acres of irrigated pasture. Livestock includes a breeding herd of Angus and Angus Crossbred cattle; the Kellogg Arabian horses; flocks of purebred Rambouillet and Suffolk sheep, goats, and a herd of various commercial breeds of swine.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.