Assistant Professor, Communication
College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences
The Communication Department in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position in PUBLIC RELATIONS at the rank of Assistant Professor, to begin fall 2018. The Department serves nearly 500 majors with options in Public Relations, Journalism, and Organizational Communication.
The faculty member will teach various undergraduate communication courses in Public Relations/Strategic Communication. The position requires excellence in teaching and advising, research and publication, and service to the Communication Department, the university, and the discipline. The successful applicant will demonstrate commitment to students, student-centered learning, service learning, and other campus-wide initiatives. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in Public Relations/Strategic Communication (completed no later than August 1, 2018)
- Ability to teach some combination of courses in the following areas: public relations writing; principles of public relations; public relations management; social media for public relations; organizational communication theory and advanced organizational communication theory; communication research and advanced communication research; and additional courses in the applicant’s area of expertise
- Demonstrated potential for continued scholarly publication
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching, and/or service; and to commit to teaching and working in a multicultural environment
- Previous college teaching experience
- Previous public relations professional experience
- A cover letter that describes the applicant’s teaching and research experience and interests and that addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description
- A Student Success Statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
- A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the applicant’s potential for success in this position
- Three recent confidential letters of recommendation (one or more of these letters may come from the five individuals referenced above) that speak to the applicant’s potential for success in this position Letters of recommendation must be signed and dated within the last two years. Letters may be submitted at: http://www.cpp.edu/~class/open-positions/applications/com-pr-letters.shtml
- A completed application form found at: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication.pdf
- A transcript showing highest degree earned (an official transcript will be required of finalists)
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than November 6, 2017. Early response is encouraged.
An online application process will be used. To apply, please go directly to http://www.cpp.edu/~class/open-positions/applications/com-pr.shtml
Finalists will be required to appear for interviews and to deliver a classroom teaching presentation and a research presentation to faculty.
For more information, please contact:
Faculty Search Committee
c/o Victoria Key, Administrative Support Coordinator
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 West Temple Ave
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3520 FAX: 909.869.4823
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the CollegeThe faculty and staff of the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences provide an excellent education for students desiring intellectual enrichment and career enhancement in the humanities, social sciences, and performing arts. The College offers introductory and advanced course work in 20 degree and certificate programs. Central to the mission of the College is the General Education program offered to all students enrolled in the University. The College embraces its role in providing courses and curricula in support of multiple and single subject teaching credential students. The University’s mission to provide for the "intellectual, personal, and professional development" of its students, staff, and faculty lies at the heart of the College’s commitment to offer programs that educate the whole person. Additional information is available at: http://www.cpp.edu/~class/
About the DepartmentThe Communication Department serves more than 450 majors, with specialized options in Public Relations, Journalism, and Organizational Communication. Graduates earning a Bachelor of Science degree in Communication can pursue a variety of careers in public relations firms, corporate departments, and nonprofit agencies; print and online publications and news organizations; and human resources and training. The Department’s options also help prepare students for graduate programs in communication and communication-related fields.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.