Assistant Professor, Theatre and New Dance
College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences
The Department of Theatre and New Dance in the College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for a tenure-track position in Scenic Design with a secondary emphasis in Lighting or Costume Design at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall, 2018. We seek an excellent teacher and designer of superior creative accomplishment for a position in a well-established, rigorous B.A. program in Theatre and New Dance. We seek a designer/teacher prepared for interdisciplinary collaboration with Dance and across the College and professional schools.
The faculty member will have the ability to Design Scenery and Lighting or Costumes or Properties for University Theatre Productions (Main Stage and Studio Series Productions), supervise student designers and collaborate with technical theatre staff, teach or share teaching in the following courses: Technical Theatre I-III, Scenic Design, Lighting Design, Costume Design and History, CAD (3D Modeling), Drafting, Rendering, Sound Design, and Portfolio Development. Responsibilities also include student advising, departmental and university committees, participation in university, college, departmental governance, grant writing, and scholarly/creative activities. Candidates with additional experience and/or interest in Digital Media and Film, Projection Design and applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- M.F.A. or Ph.D. in Scenic and Lighting or Costume Design completed no later than August 1, 2018;
- Experience designing at a university and/or professional level—minimum two years;
- Experience in teaching Scenic and Lighting or Costume Design techniques in a university liberal arts program—minimum two years;
- The ability to function in a collegial manner in an intensive, production oriented undergraduate department;
- The ability to actively mentor students; and
- The ability to help develop a curriculum that is culturally inclusive.
- Possess vision for a 21st century theatre/dance department and willingness and ability to work with a like-minded faculty on crafting that vision into a practical plan for implementation.
- Demonstration of ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and /or service, and of commitment to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.
A completed application will consist of (prepare all files in .pdf format):
- Cover Letter that addresses the duties and qualifications as articulated in the position description.
- Teaching Philosophy Statement within a multicultural environment, with examples of past experiences (1 page, single-spaced)
- Student Success Statement about your teaching, experiences, successes and challenges in working with a diverse student population (1 page, single-spaced)
- Curriculum Vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form;
- List of References: names, titles, addresses, email and telephone numbers of at least five individual references who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- Sample syllabus
- completed Academic Employment Application Form found at: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication.pdf
- Transcript showing highest degree earned from an accredited educational institution (an official transcript will be required of finalists)
- Three recent (signed and dated within the past 2 years) Letters of Reference. Letters should be submitted at: http://www.cpp.edu/~class/open-positions/applications/tnd-letters.shtml
The position is open until filled. We have extended our deadline for this position to November 15, 2017. Materials submitted by the candidate will be available for examination by all tenured and probationary faculty of the department. Early response is encouraged. An online application process will be used. To access the application and information about the position please visit http://www.cpp.edu/~class/open-positions/applications/tnd.shtml
Inquiries regarding the position should be addressed to:
Marie Maslowski, Administrative Coordinator For questions regarding the department
Department of Theatre and New Dance contact: Linda Bisesti, Search Committee
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona Department of Theatre and New Dance
3801 West Temple Avenue (909) 869-3987
Pomona, CA 91768 FAX (909) 869-3184
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the College
The College of Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences advances knowledge and learning in established academic disciplines in the humanities, social sciences, and performing arts. It provides introductory and advanced course work in 20 degree and certificate programs. Web site: http://www.cpp.edu/~class
About the Department
The Mission of the Department of Theatre and New Dance is to prepare students to be current and relevant artists for the 21st century. Students develop critical thinking and disciplinary excellence through a collaborative and interactive learning process that embraces diversity, and interdisciplinary work. Students will work within classical foundations and contemporary movements utilizing trends in new media, community and international performance arts.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.