Assistant Professor, Hospitality Management
The Collins College of Hospitality ManagementThe Collins College of Hospitality Management at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for two (2) positions at the rank of Assistant Professor in Hospitality Management to begin Fall 2018 (rank and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience).
Tenure Track Appointment in Hospitality Management beginning August, 2018. The new faculty member will develop and teach courses at the BS, MS, and MBA levels in one primary subject area plus one or more secondary subject areas, which support the disciplines and functional areas offered within the College curriculum. Other responsibilities include active scholarship (including conducting research and participating in professional activities), providing academic advising and mentoring to our multicultural student body, involvement in student organizations, participating on College and University committees, and developing industry partnerships. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Earned doctorate in a relevant field, such as but not limited to Hospitality, Business, Leisure, Recreation, Consumer Science, from an accredited university. ABD will be considered (must complete doctorate degree by July 1, 2018).
- Demonstrated ability to be responsive to the educational equity goals of the University and its increasing ethnic diversity and international character.
- University teaching experience in Beverage Management; Food and Beverage Management; Event Management; Hotel & Resort Management; Club Management; Innovation in Hospitality.
- Significant experience/expertise in the hospitality industry especially Beverage Management; Food & Beverage Management; Event Management; Hotel & Resort Management; Club Management; Innovation in Hospitality.
- Industry certifications such as CMP for Events; Cicerone/Sommelier for Beverage; CHIA for Lodging; BMI for Clubs.
- Published/Accepted peer refereed journal articles.
- Demonstration of ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and/or service, and the commitment to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.
A completed application will consist of the following elements--
- Letter of interest in the position including statements that address the following elements regarding the candidate:
- Willingness to perform the duties articulated in the position description
- Whether and how the candidate meets the qualifications articulated in the position description
- Research interests (with a sample published/accepted peer refereed journal article attached)
- Primary and secondary areas of teaching interest
- Expectations of academic rank if appointed;
- A Student Success statement about your teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single spaced);
- A current vita comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate's potential for success in this position;
- A completed application form https://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication.pdf
- A transcript showing highest degree earned;
- Finalists for the position will be required to provide three recent letters of reference, and official confirmation of degrees earned;
- Finalists for the position will be required to provide a demonstration of teaching and/or research ability when invited to campus for an interview.
Review of applications will begin on October 30, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. Materials submitted by the candidate will be available for examination by all tenured and probationary faculty members in the College. Anticipated starting date for the position is Fall Semester (August), 2018.
Faculty Search Committee c/o Rachel Duenas
The Collins College of Hospitality Management, Bldg. 79B
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Avenue
Pomona, Ca 91768
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the College
The Collins College of Hospitality Management at the California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona). Founded in 1973, The Collins College of Hospitality Management is the first and largest four-year hospitality management degree program in California and the only hospitality management college on the West Coast. Approximately 1,400 undergraduate students receive a superior education in the state-of-the-art Collins College facilities, where they learn to apply hospitality management theories and concepts to real-world settings. Part of this unique academic experience includes managing and operating the full-service Restaurant at Kellogg Ranch. Building from its renowned undergraduate program, the college offers a Master of Science in Hospitality Management, which was recently ranked in the top ten in the country.
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.