Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering
The Mechanical Engineering Department at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for full time tenure-track positions at the rank of Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering to begin Fall 2018.
The PositionResponsibilities include teaching undergraduate and graduate courses, advising students, conducting research, and providing service to the department, college and university. Candidates must be able to effectively teach as well as develop laboratory experiments. The candidate must be able to teach a majority of the core courses offered in the department, including courses from the freshman through the graduate level. A list of our core courses can be found at http://catalog.cpp.edu.Applicants whose work incorporates a global perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or related area from an accredited university by July 30, 2018.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitments to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
- Demonstrated commitments and ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, teaching and/or service, and of commitment to teaching and working in a multicultural environment.
- A minimum of 1 year of professional or teaching experience or equivalent.
- Expertise in the areas of engineering materials, machine design, robotics, mechatronics, or autonomous vehicle design.
- Additional professional experience, teaching experience, and/or P.E. license is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability in applied research and/or in developing industry contacts and support for laboratories.
- Demonstrated ability in teaching and developing Mechanical Engineering laboratories.
- Demonstrated ability to be responsive to the educational equity goals of the university and its increasing ethnic diversity and international character.
A completed application will consist of:
- A completed application form available at: http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication_feb2017.pdf
- A cover letter that describes the position that the candidate is interested in applying for, candidate’s teaching and research experience, and interests that address the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description. If area of interest is not specified, the search committee will make a determination of such based on the application material;
- A list of courses the candidate is prepared to teach, courses they can teach with some additional preparation, and courses they would like to develop;
- A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and including the names, titles, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
- A one-page, single-spaced Student Success Statement about your teaching and/or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population;
- Unofficial transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate coursework, showing highest degree earned;
- Finalists for the position will be required to provide three original recent (within two years) letters of reference and official transcript showing the highest degree earned.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than January 2, 2018. Early response is encouraged.
For any further inquiries and requests, please use the following contact information:
Faculty Search Committee Chair
Dr. John Caffrey
Mechanical Engineering Department
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.2575 FAX: 909.869.4341
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the CollegeThe College of Engineering is the 17th largest engineering school in the nation, and is ranked as one of the best public undergraduate engineering colleges in the nation. The College has had over fifty-five years of success in producing workforce ready engineers and engineering technologists. Our graduates are working throughout California and the nation to meet increasingly complex technical and socio-economic challenges posed by the ever-growing global economy. Additional information is available at the college’s Web site: www.cpp.edu/engineering
About the DepartmentFurther information may be obtained from the department web site: http://www.cpp.edu/engineering/ME
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.