Assistant Professor, Graphic Design
College of Environmental DesignThe Department of Art in the College of Environmental Design at California State Polytechnic University,
Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) invites applications for one tenure-track position in the area of Graphic
Design, at the rank of Assistant Professor to begin Fall 2018.
The PositionThis tenure-track position provides instruction in Graphic Design for undergraduate courses within the
Department of Art. The position requires teaching, advising, professional, and scholarly activities in
graphic design or related areas. The new faculty member will also be involved in administrative tasks and
service at the department, college, and university levels. Applicants with work that incorporates a global
perspective and a commitment to diversity in higher education are particularly encouraged to apply.
- A terminal degree (M.F.A. or Ph.D.) in Visual Arts, Graphic Design or related fields from an accredited (recognized equivalent) university completed by June 30th, 2018.
- A minimum of two (2) years of professional design or related work experience.
- Teaching experience in design or related fields at the university level.
- Demonstration of ability to contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through research, creative and scholarly activities, teaching, advising, and service.
- Effective teaching in graphic design courses from the foundation level (3D design, introductory drawing courses) to upper division elective courses (advanced 3D and technical illustration courses as well as studio art.
- An expert user and instructor of applicable software and digital technologies engaged with current trends and grounded in the concepts, principles and practices in the digital 3D environment.
- Knowledgeable in and able to supervise woodshop and 3D printing labs.
- An effective mentor and advisor of students.
- Excellent record of active participation in professional organizations.
A completed application will consist of the following:
By regular mail:
• A completed Application for Academic Employment form http://www.cpp.edu/~faculty-affairs/documents/acadapplication_feb2017.pdf
By e-mail, on one e-mail, include the following:
• A cover letter that describes the candidate’s teaching, research experience, and interests that
addresses the duties and qualifications articulated in the position description;
• A curriculum vitae comprised of at least those elements specified on the application form and
including the names, titles, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of at least five
individuals who can speak to the candidate’s potential for success in this position;
• A Student Success Statement about the candidate’s teaching or other experiences, successes, and challenges in working with a diverse student population (approximately one page, single-spaced)
• A website link of the online portfolio showing 20 samples of work and 20 samples of work by the
candidate’s students; and
• An unofficial transcript showing the highest degree earned.
Note: Finalists for the position will be required to provide an official transcript and three letters of
reference dated within the last two years. Final candidates being interviewed are expected to make a
scholarly presentation to faculty and interact with students.
The position is open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no
later than November 30th, 2017. Early response is encouraged.
Email for electronic submission of materials:
Subject line: 3D/Graphic Design/2017-2018 Faculty Position
The address and contact numbers for the department are:
Department of Art Faculty Search
c/o Patricia Martinez, Administrative Coordinator
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 W. Temple Ave. Pomona, CA 91768
Phone: 909.869.3508 FAX: 909.869.4939
Subject line: 3D/Graphic Design/2017-2018 Faculty Position
About the University
Cal Poly Pomona, one of two polytechnic universities in California, is a member of the 23-campus California State University system. Our student population of approximately 23,000 enrolls in 51 baccalaureate, 30 master’s degree programs, 11 credential and certificate programs, and a doctorate in Educational Leadership, presented by 1,200 faculty. We recruit successful and career-focused students from throughout California and beyond. We are proud of our status as a Hispanic Serving Institution. We have a strong commitment to supporting scholarship, research, and student achievement. Our scenic and historic 1,400-acre campus, once the winter ranch of cereal magnate W.K. Kellogg, is located about 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Southern California is one of the most dynamic economic and cultural environments in the country, and the campus is within an hour’s drive of beaches, mountains, and desert. The university is committed to diversifying its faculty and staff and has made educational equity one of its highest priorities. The mission of the university is to advance learning and knowledge by linking theory and practice in all disciplines, and to prepare students for lifelong learning, leadership, and careers in a changing, multicultural world.
About the CollegeThe mission of the College of Environmental Design is to provide an outstanding academic and
professional learning experience within a multidisciplinary structure. The College philosophy embodies a
passion for creative excellence, environmental sustainability, and social responsibility in each of the
College's departments. The College of Environmental Design is one of eight colleges at California State
Polytechnic University, Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona) and was established in 1970. The College offers
professional degree programs at the graduate level in Regenerative Studies undergraduate and graduate
levels in Architecture, Art, Landscape Architecture, Urban and Regional Planning and at the
undergraduate level in Art.
About the DepartmentThe Department of Art, fully accredited by NASAD, offers a B.F.A. in Graphic Design and B.A. in Art History.
The Department has 11 full-time faculty; departmental majors number approximately 550. The Graphic
Design program encompasses the largest percentage of undergraduate majors within the College of
Equal Opportunity Employer
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. The University seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the people of California, to maintain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. Cal Poly Pomona subscribes to all state and federal regulations and prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity/gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, age, disability, genetic information, medical condition, and covered veteran status. The University hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the Unites States. As required by the Clery Disclosure Act, the university’s annual security report is available a http://www.cpp.edu/~police/annual-security-report.shtml. The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
Cal Poly Pomona is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. Please refer to the link below for policy information.