Special Projects for Improving the Classroom Environment (SPICE)
The SPICE program is funded through the Student Success Fee, with the purpose of supporting faculty in efforts to improve the learning environment for Cal Poly Pomona students.
- Submit a Classroom Modernization Proposal for 2015-2016
- Submit an Instructional Innovation Proposal for 2015-2016
The deadline for proposal submission is Feb. 23, 2016. The full call for proposals is included in the submission links. For questions about the SPICE program or the submission process, please email email@example.com.
The proposals below were successful proposals from the 2015 SPICE competition. They are posted here with the permission of the faculty members. Please use these proposals only as samples, not as a definitive guide to what will be successful in the 2016-2017 call for proposals.
Classroom Modernization proposals support significant upgrades or renovations of classroom or lab space, beyond regular maintenance. Classroom Modernization proposals may not be submitted by individual faculty; they are always submitted by programs, departments, or colleges.
Letters, Arts, and Social Sciences
Instructional Innovation proposals support individual faculty or groups of faculty in a variety of ways to create and implement innovative teaching methods, or to implement teaching methods which are well-proven but require a significant amount of support.
Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)
- Biological Sciences Department; Expansion of the Biology Learning Assistant Program
- Biological Sciences Department; Increasing Quantitative Analysis and Molecular Methods in
- Chemistry Department; Enhancing Separations Methods Lab with Ion Chromatograph
- Computer Science Department; A Web-Based Classroom Response and Evaluation System using
- Department of Physics and Astronomy; Transformation of the Introduction to quantum mechanics course by
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics; ConcepTests for MAT 215 and Faculty Learning Community
- Civil Engineering Department; Development of Campus-wide Workshops on GÇ£Water Education
- Civil Engineering Department; Implementation of online homework system in geotechnical
- Civil Engineering Department; Introducing Quantitative Experimental Structural Dynamics and Non-
- Civil Engineering Department; National Environmental and Water Resources Institute_president
- Civil Engineering Department; Tabletop and Virtual Water Laboratory Experiments for Lecture
- Civil Engineering Department;Manual for Steel Construction at Your Reach
- Mechanical Engineering Department; Hands-on workshop for engineering faculty to create high-quality,
- Mechanical Engineering Department; Wearable Electronics Workshop
Humanities & Social Sciences
- College of Education and Integrative Studies; Multimedia Innovation in CPP Education Specialist Teacher
- College of Education and Integrative Studies; Remote Supervision of Education Specialist Candidates
- Department of Education; Faculty Teaching Academy
- Interdisciplinary General Education Department; Ancient Coins for IGE 121
- English & Foreign Languages Department; Touring Pomona Spanish series
- Department of Theatre and New Dance; WORKSHOP WEEK
- Library; Enhancing Flexibility and Mobility in Library Instruction
- Computer Information Systems Department; Open Textbook Adoption for CIS 310 Management Information
- Finance, Real Estate & Law Department; Redesign FRL330 (Investment Analysis)
- International Business & Marketing Department; Convert IBM 411 (Buyer Behavior) to a Hybrid Course
- International Business & Marketing Department; Design a Hybrid Class for IBM320
- International Business & Marketing Department; Developing Open Educational Resources for Consultative Sales