Cal Poly Pomona

Frequently Asked Travel Questions

Please refer to memo HR Letter 2012-02. This memo is the CSU Policy and Procedures Governing Travel and Relocation Expense Reimburse.

1.  What are meal allowances?

Meal allowances for each complete 24-hour period are as follows:

Actual cost of meal expenses up to $55.00 per day plus $7.00 per day for incidentals allowance. Receipts required for expenses of $25.00 or more.

2. Can I claim lunch for a one-day trip?

For a trip with a duration of 24 hours or less, lunch cannot be claimed.

3.  When claiming mileage, do I measure from headquarters or home?

Mileage must be claimed from the lesser of the two locations.

4.  When opting to drive instead of flying, do I claim mileage?

The traveler must claim the lesser of the two amounts. A comparison document should be submitted with the travel expense claim.

5. Electronic Receipt/Ticket?

Electronic Receipts are acceptable provided that the detail contained in an electronic receipt is equivalent to the level of details contained in an acceptable paper record.  For example, electronic receipt must show the name of the payee, the amount of the change, the transaction date, and the form of payment.  E-mailed or faxed documentation provided by an airline or travel agency for electronic ticketing expenses for airfare is acceptable for substantiating such expenses.  A copy of the faxed itinerary and receipt or a copy of the e-mail itinerary and receipt printed locally should be attached to the Travel Expense Claim.

6.  How do I apply for Personal Liability Travel Card (formerly known as American Express Travel Card?

Application can be accessed online:
Submit your completed form to Helen Lee, Building 98, Room B1-113.  Within ten (10) working days American Express will send your new card to your house.

7.  Who can receive travel advances?

The University does not issue Travel Advances.

8.  Can any car rental agency be used?

No, Travel Bulletin 14-01 announces the new primary and secondary contracts between  Enterprise Rent A Car (Primary) and Vanguard Car Rental USA (Secondary) (Parent company of Alamo and National) and the State of California. You may use one of these State authorized companies or you or your department may become liable.  In order to be covered by the State's Self-Insurance program, you must use one of the above contracted companies and pay by the American Express Government Card.

9.  What is the mileage reimbursement rate?

A memo regarding the Mileage Reimbursement Rates for 2014 revises the standard business mileage reimbursement rate to 56 cents per mile, effective January 1, 2014.

Mileage rates:
Travel beginning January 1, 2014 . . . . . . . . . . $56 cents per mile
Travel beginning April 1, 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . $56.5 cents per mile

10.  Is it necessary to submit a travel claim if the only expense is a direct pay for registration fees?

Yes, an expense claim must be submitted if any type of direct pay was paid to vendor or traveler with reconcilation. 

11.  Who can I contact with travel related questions?

For additional information on travel, please contact Laurie Hamilton in University Accounting Services at extension 2018 or

12. Twenty-five mile rule

Subsistence expenses (lodging, meal or incidental) for travel within 25 miles of employee’s home or normal work location will not be reimbursed.

13.  Can I combine a business trip with a couple days of personal travel?

Yes, but only the business portion of the trip will be reimbursed.  Traveler must indicate personal days.

14.  Can a registration fee be paid with my department procurement card or should I include the registration amount in my travel expense claim?

No, the Procurement Card is not to be used for travel related items (conference fees, registration, etc).  The traveler should use either their American Express Travel Card or complete a direct pay form for payment directly to the vendor. To be reimbursed, you will need to submit an Authorization to Travel form with a Travel Expense Claim and paid receipts with zero balance.

15.  Does a travel request form need to be prepared for ticketless air fare only?

Yes, a travel request should be prepared for all travel expenses. You will need to submit your boarding pass or luggage stubs along with your receipt showing a zero balance.  (Liability issue)

16.  Can a Requisition Form be used to pay Travel Expenses?

No, a requisition form is for requesting a purchase order through Procurement office.

17. Where do I return the Personal Liability Travel Card to when I leave the University?

Turn in your card to your department or Helen Lee, Building 98, Room B1-113.

18. Can I rent a car at Enterprise Rental Car for personal travel?

Yes, rental car for personal use at discounted rate from Enterprise Rent-A-Car is available to employees.

19. How long does it take to get a travel expense claim reimbursement?

Reimbursement will be processed within ten (10) working days with all documents provided.

(Back to top)

Updated November 26, 2014