Skip To Main Content

Car Rentals

Enterprise and National Car Rental Use

For Enterprise and National Car Rental use:

 (Car rentals are available to employees at a discounted rate.)        

  • Travel Bulleting revised as of March 1, 2016, 16-02,
    • Announces the extension of the contract with Enterprise and incorporates short-term and long-term rate changes for 2016.
  • Travel Bulletin, 15-03, (travel between January 1, 2016 - February 29, 2016) 

  For details of the contract including terms and conditions, definitions, scope of work, daily and weekly rates, and other class vehicle rates, etc., please contact Helen Lee at

  • Fuel - The traveler must return the vehicle with the same level of fuel that the vehicle had when it was picked up, or Enterprise will charge market fuel prices.
  • Payment method- The traveler has options on how to pay for the state contracted rental car.  The traveler can either pay for it by himself/herself with the American Express Personal Liability card, a personal credit card, or request Enterprise to bill the University directly.


Commercial Car Rental Periods and Authorizations:

The Commercial Car agreement has been established to meet the short-term travel needs of State employees on official state business.  This agreement is limited to a rental period of 7 days.  Should a traveler require a rental period longer than 7 days, not to exceed a maximum of 21 consecutive calendar days, the Statewide Travel Program Administrator must be contacted for prior approval.

Georgia Kattenhorn, Statewide Travel Program Specialist, DGS Statewide Travel & Meeting Management Program.                                                                                                                                          (916) 376-3990; fax (916) 376-3999 or 

Rental periods over 21 consecutive calendar days require prior approval from the Statewide Mobile Equipment Coordinators.   Long-term rentals constitute an increase in the State fleet and are subject to analysis to ensure the most cost-effective method is utilized. 

Are you covered by University (State) Insurance?

For insurance coverage purposes, an official University business trip begins when the traveler leaves his/her residence or normal work location, whichever occurs last, and ends when the traveler returns to his/her residence or normal work location, whichever occurs first

To be covered under the University's self-insurance program when you rent a car in the course of conducting university business, you must use either the primary or secondary vendor contracted with the State of California. If you are covered under the University's self-insurance program, do not purchase the insurance waiver offered by the car rental company.  You will not be reimbursed for the cost of coverage.

If you are unable to use one of the contracted carriers and/or are unable to utilize the required method of payment, your personal coverage will apply.  Depending on your personal automobile coverage, you  may consider the purchase of insurance from the car rental agency.  Keep in mind that if you do elect to purchase insurance coverage, travel regulations do not permit the campus to reimburse you for the cost of the coverage.

For additional insurance information:

Valerie Eberle, University Risk Management 
Phone: (909) 869-4846    
Fax:  (909) 869-2926