Eligible FEDCO classroom grant examples:
- A sixth-grade teacher requested $500 to bring children to BioTrek to experience first hand the tropical rainforest, aquatic environments of the tropics and California, and California indigenous plants. These experiences were followed by writing assignments on global ecology.
- Two teachers, one elementary the other at a high school, requested $1,000 to pilot a Big Buddy reading Program. Students produced auto-biographies and journals.
- An eighth grade teacher requested $500 to bring a series of visiting physical scientists to the middle school campus to do hands-on science experiments with her students. Funds were requested for supplies, photocopying, honoraria for the visiting scientists, and curriculum development consultations with the scientists.
- Three third grade teachers requested $1,500 to bring students to the Japanese American National Museum to study the history of Japanese-Americans in California and their contribution to the local community. Students produced posters indicating how Japanese-Americans helped change the Los Angeles basin in our time.
- A high school chemistry teacher took students to the Los Angeles Museum of Natural History to learn about gems and minerals. Students created a gem and mineral display case.