Keeping Clean With Waste Reduction
Custodial Services maintains over 1.9 million square feet of building space. In 2003 Custodial Service recycled approximately 260 tons of material (plastic, paper, cardboard, glass, etc). Although many people are aware of the large volume recycled by Custodial Services, most are unaware of the waste reduction practices they use. You may be able to use these techniques in your own home. They prevent waste and save money.
- Use cloth towel dispensers in bathrooms or purchase recycled and unbleached paper towel rolls.
- Purchase products that are more durable, reusable, repairable, and recyclable.
- Purchase cleaning supplies in bulk and concentrate form. These give you more product for less packaging, and are usually less expensive.
- Use cleaners without toxic, corrosive, and flammable chemicals. Read labels. Look for products that do not require special handling and/or do not have warnings.
- Dispense cleaning solutions in refillable containers like pump sprays bottles. Use products in non-aerosol containers where possible.
- Use washable rags.