AVOID SICK PEOPLE
Students are constantly saying “I can’t get sick”. According to the 2010 CPP NCHA Data, Cold and Flu are a top impediment affecting students’ academic performance. Your tip to avoiding getting sick is H.E.A.R.
Colds and the flu are caused by common viruses that affect nearly everyone this time of the year. Most adults get between 2 and 4 colds a year, often with one strain running into another one with no relief in between!
Cold, flu, and sore throat (the most frequent reasons for visiting Student Health Services) are the second most common causes of poor academic performance among all college students, including Cal Poly Pomona students. On a college campus like ours, with nearly 20,000 students, colds and flu are apt to spread quickly if no prevention methods are employed.
Our mission is to minimize disruption of your academic pursuits (taking tests, studying, attending class, etc.) that are impacted when you are not feeling well. By caring for yourself BEFORE you get sick (PDF), and knowing when it’s appropriate to see a doctor, you might reduce the amount of lost class time. Good hygiene tips (PDF) will go far!
- SHS general information on colds and flu (Influenza)
- Where Colds and Flu affect the Respiratory Tract (PDF)
- How the virus gets around (PDF)
- Comparing symptoms of colds & flu
- Determine if you have a cold/flu, or if you need to see a doctor
- How to self treat
- Over-the-Counter Pharmacy items available at Student Health Services