What is the Wellness Card Program?
The Wellness Card program is designed to increase your awareness of the services available through Student Health and Wellness Services. Our goal is to help you stay well and to make healthy choices.
Need an activity for extra credit or a make up day? Looking for an out of class activity that is educational and beneficial for your class? The Wellness Card has been well-received by many faculty on campus. Research shows that healthier students perform better academically*. Additionally, activities on the Wellness Card focus on changing health behaviors, and students can benefit from better health behaviors throughout their lifetime.
University of Minnesota. "Grades In College Directly Linked To Health-Related Behaviors." ScienceDaily 22 October 2008.
M. Scott Deberard, Glen I. Spielmans, Deana L. Julka; Predictors of Academic Achievement and Retention among College Freshmen: A Longitudinal Study; College Student Journal, Vol. 38, 2004
How Does It Work?
- Complete a total of 9 assessments from the Wellness Card:
- 3 In-Person Assessments (Must be done at the Wellness Center)
- 3 Online Assessments (When you are finished, take a screen-shot or print out the final page and bring in to the Wellness Center)
- 3 Written Assessments (Print them out from below or complete them while at the Wellness Center)
- Complete the activities as indicated and review them with a Wellness Center staff member.
Once you complete the 9 outlined above, have a Wellness Center staff member stamp your completed card.
In-Person Assessments (Complete 3 at the Wellness Center)
- Demonstrate Condom Proficiency: using a model, correctly demonstrate how to use a condom
- Aerobic Capacity: 3-minute step test to assess cardiovascular endurance of the heart
- Blood Pressure: assesses blood pressure and provides information on how to maintain a healthy range and/or lower bp if needed
- Flexibility: stretching exercises that show flexibility of the different muscles and joints
- Foot Clinic: demonstrates what type of foot/arch one has by taking a footprint; suggests appropriate support in shoes for every day and exercising
- Lung Volume: measured by blowing into a Peak Flow Meter; suggestions given on how to increase lung capacity by exercise, deep breathing, etc.
- Strength: grip strength, wall sit, and plank exercises
- The Heimlick Maneuver: how to assist someone who is choking
- emWave/Stress Reduction (computer program available only at the Wellness Center) that uses biofeedback software to measure your stress and teaches you to reduce it through deep breathing and lowering your heart rate
- Create a Healthy Plate: demonstrate what constitutes a standard serving size and the # of servings per food group for an individual
- Food Safety: how to prepare and store food safely
- Pour Me a Drink: demonstrates proper serving size of the different types of alcohol (beer, wine, shots, mixed drinks)
Online Only Assessments (Complete 3, bring verification to Wellness Center)
- Alcohol Use Screening (Print final page for proof of completion)
- Caffeine Use Quiz (Print final page for proof of completion)
- CPR Hands-on Only (Watch video and practice compressions on manikin at the Wellness Center)
- Depression Screening (Print final page for proof of completion)
- Eating Disorders Screening (Print final page for proof of completion)
- eCheckUpToGo (Print out your certificate of completion to show proof)
- Food Label Assessment (Print final page for proof of completion)
- Hearing Assessment (Print results to show proof of completion)
- Nutrition Facts Education (After viewing a video, take an assessment to verify completion)
- Oral Health Assessment (Print the results page to show proof of completion)
- Sexual Health Screening (take 5 minutes to see if you need to get tested for common STIs or Sexually Transmitted Infections. Print final page for proof of completion)
- Sleep Disorders Assessment (Print out your results for proof of completion)
- Student Health 101 Online Magazine Subscription (Click on "Sign-Up" at the top of inside pages to subscribe to this online monthly magazine. Print email verification of subscription for proof of completion)