Ways to Get Involved
Peer Health Educators
Peer Health Educators (PHEs) are paid student assistants, usually with backgrounds in some area of health and wellness, who receive extensive training and education in the various components of health. Job openings are posted through Handshake and the Career Center. PHEs staffed at the Wellness Center are involved in various duties including managing the front reception area, counseling students individually, reviewing assessments with students who walk in the door, and are in involved in planning and executing health related programs on campus.
The Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) is appointed annually and advises Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS) about services and fees. Six (6) student representatives are appointed by Student Health and Counseling Services who represent major constituencies throughout the campus community. There are also single representatives from the Academic Senate, Staff Council, and Administration.
The purpose of SHAC is to promote the general health and welfare of the campus community by:
- Acting as a liaison between students and SHCS.
- Disseminating information regarding both general and special services offered by SHCS.
- Exploring the various health needs of the campus and attempting to see those needs resolved.
- Periodically reviewing and evaluating programs and policies of SHCS, including consumer complaints and comments.
- Recommending to the Executive Director new programs or modifications of existing programs which would upgrade health care and be consistent with policies of SHCS. Such recommendations shall in no manner detail the practice of medicine.
- Recommending, in full consultation with the Executive Director of SHCS, new programs or modifications of existing programs to the University President. These recommendations shall in no way detail the practice of medicine.
- Being responsive to the needs, ideas and general feelings expressed by the students.
- To consider proposed augmented services prior to review by the University President.
Meetings are held at least once each quarter. If you are a student interested in serving on this committee, please contact the Executive Director of SHCS.