CSU Pre-Doctoral Program
About the CSU Pre-Doctoral Program
The CSU Pre-Doctoral Program (Pre-Doc) program is intended to increase the pool of future CSU faculty by providing support for graduate degrees (masters or doctoral). The CSU Chancellor's Office selects students from each CSU campus to be Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholars. The scholars receive up to $3000 for graduate school preparation (e.g., travel expenses for graduate school visits, application fees, test fees, etc.). The scholarship does not pay for school tuition and fees. Pre-Doc scholars are also eligible for paid summer research internships and access to special meetings with graduate school recruiters.
Each CSU campus has a coordinating office for the Pre-Doc. At Cal Poly Pomona the Kellogg Honors College (KHC) is the campus coordinating office. The KHC is responsible for promoting the Pre-Doc at CPP, advising the campus community on the application process, and forwarding applications to the CSU Chancellor's Office. The KHC does not select the Sally Casanova Pre-Doc Scholars. Membership in the Kellogg Honors College does not impact the Pre-Doc application and selection process.
The Pre-Doc application is available on the California State University system website. The deadline is 5:00PM on Friday, February 26, 2016.
Please direct any questions to Dr. Suketu Bhavsar or Won Choi.
- Current Cal Poly Pomona upper division undergraduate or graduate student
- Enroll at least two quarters at Cal Poly Pomona in the 2016-2017 academic year
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
About the Application Process
The Pre-Doc application is electronic/online and requires applicants to upload the following:
- all undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcripts
- three (3) essay responses
- budget showing how the applicant would spend $3000 toward researching and applying to graduate programs
- letter of recommendation from a faculty mentor