Welcome Week FAQs
About Welcome Week:
- What is Welcome Week?
- When is Welcome Week?
- Why should I attend Welcome Week?
- How much does Welcome Week cost and when is the registration deadline?
- How do I register to be a Welcome Week participant?
Questions for Families:
- Where can family/legal guardians get more information about University Housing?
- Can family/legal guardians help students move in?
- Is there a fee waiver for students with financial need?
Questions regarding the day of Welcome Week move-in:
- What time can I check in and where do I check in?
- Where can I park on move-in day?
- Is food provided during move-in?
- Is it mandatory to attend the Welcome Week events?
- What if I cannot check in on Sunday, August 19, 2018?
- Where can I obtain the liability waivers that need to be filled out?
- Other questions concerning Welcome Week?
About Welcome Week:
1. What is Welcome Week?
Welcome Week is a 3-day University Housing Services (UHS) residential welcome program for any incoming first-year and first-year transfer students that will be living in the residential halls or residential suites during Fall 2018. Welcome Week is designed to familiarize new residents to the Cal Poly Pomona campus through a wide variety of engaging, social, and educational programs.
2. When is Welcome Week?
The duration of Welcome Week is from Sunday morning, August 19, 2018 to Tuesday evening, August 21, 2018. Students participating in Welcome Week will move in on Sunday, August 19, 2018, from the time frame of 9:00AM-3:00PM. UHS residents not attending Welcome Week will move in on Wednesday August 22, 2018 with their designated move-in time.
3. Why should I attend Welcome Week?
Welcome Week is tons of fun and a great opportunity to acclimate to the college environment! Here are several detailed reasons why you should attend:
- Participants are able to check in to their respective building three days prior to students who are not Welcome Week participants.
- Welcome Week (WW) residents engage in activities that help them integrate earlier to campus-living and to comfortably reside in their respective building.
- WW students are able to interact and engage with other students living in their respective residence building prior to the start of school on August 23, 2018.
- WW attendance was over 1,000 students last year--we don’t want you to miss out!
- Registration links will be included with your housing assignment email!
Attending Welcome Week includes housing, meals, and admission to exclusive programs from August 19th –21st, 2018. Welcome Week is filled with activities and programs such as a fun night at the Bronco Student Center, a movie night, educational and social workshops, and a pep rally! Welcome Week participants also receive CPP Memorabilia. Although meals are provided throughout Welcome Week, please bring snacks in case your student gets hungry before or between meals.
4. How much does Welcome Week cost and when is the registration deadline?
Early bird registration of $110 begins on Monday, June 18, 2018 and ends at 11:59PM on Friday, July 20, 2018. Regular registration of $120 begins on Saturday, July 21, 2018 and ends at 11:59PM on Sunday, August 5, 2018.
5. How do I register to be a Welcome Week participant?
- Online Registration: The Eventbrite registration link will be included in the housing assignment email. Early registration is encouraged.
- Fee Payment: Your payment will be processed through Eventbrite immediately following your registration.
- Reimbursements: will be considered only for students who cancel their contracts with University
Housing Services prior to Welcome Week move-in day. All reimbursements must be requested through Eventbrite no later than August 5, 2018.
- Confirmation: You will receive an e-mailed confirmation letter (sent to your Cal Poly Pomona email account) within two weeks of receiving your registration payment AND your signed liability waivers.
- Special Needs: If you need special accommodations, please inform us by noting your needs on the online registration form. A member of our staff will contact you to make the necessary arrangements.
Questions for Families:
6. Where can family/legal guardians get more information about University Housing?
There will be two Family Orientation sessions offered on move-in day to answer any questions you may have about University Housing. You may attend one session located in the residential halls or the residential suites—each session offers the same information. There will be key speakers discussing safety, policy, food, and more. Afterwards there will be a Q&A session. If you have more questions, please feel free to visit the University Housing website or the Welcome Week website.
7. Can family/legal guardians help students move in?Yes! We encourage you to come and help your student move into their new building. We have a Family Orientation planned for all attending parents, family members, and guests as well. Unfortunately, we do not allow families to participate in Welcome Week events along with their students, other than the Family Orientation.
8. Is there a fee waiver for students with financial need?
Yes, there are fee waivers granted to students with financial need. Students must complete the online fee waiver application, which will be sent out with the housing assignment email. All scholarship applications must be submitted online by August 5, 2018 to be considered for this award.
The Welcome Week fee waiver is an award given based on financial need and your student personal statement. In order to be eligible for the fee waiver, students must fill out the application sent out in the email.
By submitting the form, you are authorizing University Housing Services personnel to access financial aid information previously provided to the campus. This information will be used solely to evaluate your eligibility for the fee waiver. The fee waiver applications must be RECEIVED NO LATER than August 5, 2018. Fee waivers will be individually reviewed and award applicants will be notified of their recipient status via their Cal Poly Pomona email account by August 10, 2018.
REMINDER: You are still required to complete the Welcome Week online registration and submit the payment by August 5, 2018 to be eligible for the waiver. We will refund your payment if you DO receive the fee waiver.
If you have any questions, please contact the Welcome Week Office at (909) 869-2121 or via email at email@example.com.
Questions regarding the day of Welcome Week move-in:
9. What time can I check-in and where do I check in?
Check-in for Welcome Week is on Sunday, August 19, 2018, between 9:00am and 3:00pm. Your check-in appointment time is included with your assignment information, which can be accessed through the Housing Portal at https://cpp.starrezhousing.com/StarRezPortal/Login.
You will need to login with your Bronco username and password. Click on your assignment for details about your roommates and your check-in time.
To check-in on Sunday, August 19th, please go directly to your assigned residence hall or suite.
10. Where can I park on move-in day?Residential Halls:
Parking will be open in parking lots F1 and F2 for the halls. Carts for move in will be available at their respective hall for students and families to check out. The two buildings furthest from the parking lot, Cedritos and Palmitas, will have limited 30 minute parking available in front of each building.
Parking will be open in parking lots B and P for the suites. Carts for move in will be available at their respective suite for students and families to check out. Parking Lot Q will be used as 30 minute parking.
11. Is food provided during move in?No food will be provided until later that night at opening ceremonies around 5:00 PM, so it is recommended that your student has snacks during move in.
12. Is it mandatory to attend the Welcome Week events?
We highly encourage Welcome Week participants to attend all events. Attending the different events is the best way to meet new people, to learn about the campus and to create great experiences at the beginning of the year. Additionally, we offer a family orientation session that families can attend to meet University Housing Services Staff and ask any questions. Though some events are encouraged to be attended, there will be some programs regarding housing information and campus safety that are mandatory, so please make sure to attend those events. More information will be released at a further date.
Other questions:13. What if I cannot check-in on Sunday, August 19, 2018?
If you absolutely cannot move in on Sunday, August 19th between 9:00am and 3:00pm, please contact the Welcome Week Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (909) 869-2121 to make special arrangements for a later check-in.
To make the most of your Welcome Week experience, the Welcome Week Leadership Team suggests that students make every effort possible to check in with the rest of the Welcome Week participants on Sunday. Unannounced late check-ins will not be honored; your welcome week fee will be forfeited.
14. Where can I obtain the liability waivers that need to be filled out?
Once you register for Welcome Week through Eventbrite, you will receive a confirmation order directing you to the DocuSign webpage. Please ensuring you are filling out the correct form based on your age.
If you are a student who is under the age of 18, it is required for your parent or legal guardian to sign the forms electronically through DocuSign as well.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns please contact the Welcome Week office at email@example.com or (909) 869-2121. Hours of operation are Monday through Thursday from 9 AM - 5 PM.
15. Other questions concerning Welcome Week?
For any questions or concerns please contact the Welcome Week Leadership Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (909) 869-2121, Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.