Cal Poly Pomona

Disability-Related Programs/Insurances

An illness or injury that keeps an employee off work beyond when their sick leave benefits are exhausted can use up that employee’s personal savings rapidly. Therefore, it is an important part of an employee’s personal financial planning to make sure that they have adequate disability insurance. While the CSU does not participate in the California State Disability Insurance (SDI) program, we offer several programs to eligible employees that are briefly summarized in this section. Additional information on each program is available through the Customer Service Center located in Human Resource Services, CLA Building 98, Room B1-20.

Non-Industrial Disability Insurance (NDI)

NDI is an employer-paid short-term disability plan designed to pay a salary continuation to eligible employees if disabled from work due to non-work related illness or injury. NDI benefits range from 1/2 the employee’s full pay to a maximum of $125 or $250 weekly (depending on bargaining unit). To be eligible an employee must qualify as follows:

    • be a current contributing CalPERS member.
    • be a permanent or probationary full-time employee or an employee appointed half-time or more for one year of service or one academic year or more.
    • have exhausted their entire sick leave balance.
    • serve a seven consecutive calendar day waiting period (waived if employee is hospitalized).

The use of vacation credits is optional, but may be used to extend normal salary prior to receipt of NDI benefits. NDI benefits are considered taxable wages by the IRS; state and federal taxes and Social Security contributions will be withheld. Voluntary insurance deductions will continue unless cancelled by the employee. Service credit toward retirement will not be earned during the disability nor will retirement contributions be deducted from NDI benefits.

Catastrophic Leave Donation Program (CLDP)

The CLDP allows employees to donate leave credits to a disabled employee whose accumulated leave credits have been exhausted. Catastrophic Leave donations may be used to supplement an employee’s NDI benefits. Also, certain provisions of the CLDP may also apply to leave required for the care of a disabled family member.

Family and Medical Leave

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) provides eligible employees up to twelve weeks unpaid, job-protected leave in a twelve month period for certain family and medical leaves. This program may be especially helpful to an employee who does not have sick leave, vacation and/or NDI benefits available and would like to maintain their health insurance during an unpaid Family and Medical Leave.

Employer-Paid Long-Term Disability (LTD) Insurance

A long-term disability insurance plan is provided, in addition to the nonindustrial insurance outlined above, for eligible employees in the following units:

    • Management Personnel Plan (MPP) Employees
    • Faculty/Librarians/Coaches - Unit 3 Employees
    • Academic Professional - Unit 4 Employees (Student Services Professionals, Credential Analysts, etc.)
    • Physicians - Unit 1 Employees

CalPERS Disability Retirement

Employees with more than five (5) years of service credit with the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CalPERS) may be eligible for disability retirement benefits if disabled from their California State University (CSU) job. The employee does not need to be age 50 or older for disability retirement. Disability retirement information and application forms are available through Human Resource Services. Please call extension 3734 or 3735 for information.

CalPERS Long-Term Care Program

Periodically, CalPERS conducts an open enrollment period wherein employees may purchase long-term care insurance and have premiums payroll deducted. Long-term care is the extended care an employee would need when--because of chronic illness, injury, or old age--the employee needs help with basic activities such as dressing, bathing, or eating.

For additional information regarding the CalPERS Long-Term Care Program visit their Web site at or you may call 1-800-338-2244 to request information.

Workers’ Compensation

Under workers’ compensation law, employees are insured for any injury or illness which arises out of or in the course of employment with the University. This benefit provides for partial recovery of salary loss. The University provides 100% coverage for all reasonable charges incurred for hospital, medical and surgical services received in connection with such injuries or illnesses. Under certain conditions, benefits may be paid for the time missed from work as a result of a work-related injury or illness.

To file a claim or obtain information regarding Workers’ Compensation benefits, contact the Risk Management Department, extension 3725. Risk Management is located in the CLA Building 98, Room B1-41.