Most collective bargaining agreements have provisions for increases that may be provided with campus funds. These increases are funded by the employee’s department or unit and are provided at the discretion of the President.
- In-Range Progression Increase: An in-range progression is an increase within the employee's current salary range. It is a permanent increase to the employee's base pay based on considerations such as salary equity, changes in duties that do not warrant a reclassification or skill-level change, or recognition of an employee's specialized skills which have specific value to the University.
Employees in the following groups are eligible for in-range progression increases:
- Union of American Physicians and Dentists (UAPD), Unit 1 may be employee or management initiated.
- California State University Employees Union (CSUEU), Units 2, 5, 7, 9. Requests may be employee or management initiated.
- Academic Professionals of California (APC), Unit 4. Requests may be employee or management initiated.
- State Employees trades Council (SETC), Unit 6. Requests may be employee or management initiated.
- Statewide University police Association (SUPA), Unit 8. Requests are management initiated.
- Employees in confidential classifications. Requests are management initiated.
In-range progression increases are discretionary and are not subject to grievance procedures.
UAPD, CSUEU & SETC bargaining unit agreement requires a minimum of 3% increase for an in-range progression increase. The APC collective bargaining agreement does not specify a minimum salary increase requirement. Employees may receive more than the minimum increase depending on the rationale for the in-range progression increase and their department's budget.
Several collective bargaining agreements provide criteria for a stipend, or temporary increase in an employee’s pay. A stipend is typically provided on a month-to-month basis for a specified time period. For example, SUPA (Unit 8) employees may receive a monthly stipend for certain special assignments such as canine handling. Specific criteria are included in the applicable collective bargaining agreement. Please click here for the Salary Stipend Guidelines and Instructions.