Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
"An F-1 student may be authorized by an International Student Advisor to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school 8 C.F.R. § 214.2(F)(10)(i)".
The International Center will determine the eligiblity on a case by case basis.
- Completion of 3 quarters of coursework towards your current degree objective at Cal Poly Pomona.
- Recommendation by your Faculty or Academic Advisor for every quarter of CPT.
How to Apply
- Pick up or download the CPT form
- Receive academic approval from your department (students must enroll in an internship class if college offers it). Complete section I and have the faculty advisor complete section II
- Submit completed form to an international student advisor
- Pick up new and sign I-20 before starting employment
*Students cannot begin employment until they have CPT authorization.
**CPT is only available for the dates requested on the form.
***Each CPT request is reviewed on a case by case basis.