Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
"An F-1 student may be authorized by an International Student Advisor to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school 8 C.F.R. § 214.2(F)(10)(i)".
The International Center will determine the eligiblity on a case by case basis.
- Completion of an academic year in valid F-1 visa status and in good academic
- Completion of one full academic year for graduate and undergraduate coursework at Cal Poly
- Support from an Academic Advisor or Internship Coordinator in the student’s academic department.
How to Apply
- Pick-up a CPT application form at the International Center’s Front Desk or download the CPT form
- Seek support from the academic department regarding eligibility and availability of internship course credit.
- Once employment is secured, complete Section 1 of the Clearance Form and attach a job offer letter or business card from the employer.
- Ask the Academic Advisor or Internship Coordinator to complete Section 2 of the Clearance.
- Bring the completed CPT form to the International Center and meet with an International Center Advisor.
- Pick up the endorsed CPT I-20 and begin the new job.
*Students cannot begin employment until they have CPT authorization.
**CPT is only available for the dates requested on the form.
***Each CPT request is reviewed on a case by case basis.