Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Apply in the final quarter of the Program of Study
- OPT is simply authorization or permission to work in the USA
- You must attend an OPT workshop
- You do not have to have a job to apply for work authorization (OPT)
- Be in good academic standing at CPP and have completed the GWT
- Type the I-765 and the G-1145 forms (hand written forms may cause errors)
- After completing all the steps below, contact the International Center at 909-869-3267 or e-mail at international@cpp,edu and schedule an appointment for OPT
Info Sheet: What Employers Should KNow About Hiring International Students
To apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), students must indicate the date they want the work authorization to begin. Here’s how to determine when to begin work authorization:
- Program End Date (graduation): students have 60 days after the last day of the last quarter to begin work authorization (OPT). Decide if you want to start working sometime between day 1 and day 59 after graduation.
- 90 Day Processing: The application takes 90 days to process by USCIS.
- Count back 90 days from the date you choose as a start date for when to apply.
The question becomes, do you want to go to work immediately after graduation? Then choose an early start date. Or do you want more time before you start work? Choose a late start date. Whichever date you chose, count back 90 days for when to apply. This gives USCIS enough time to process the application before your start date.
When you call to schedule an appointment with an International Student Advisor, you must tell the person scheduling the appointment the date you want the OPT to begin.
You can also download an excel sheet to plan your OPT dates from the Study in the States website.
Bring the following items to the OPT appointment:
- Copies of CPT I-20s issued by Cal Poly Pomona
- I-94 (electronic)
- If you recently traveled, you can access it by downloading it Official Website of the Department of Homeland Security
- Check for $410 made to the Dept. of Homeland Security
- Two new passport photos -- the photos must within the past 30 days with a off-white background
- A typed Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization)
- A typed Form G-1145 (E-Notification)
- I-20 with work authorization dates (Must make this request 48 hours before meeting with Advisor)
All of these items except the I-20 must be brought to the OPT appointment . Instructions for each one to follow.
For the I-765 Application Form: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-765.pdf
PLEASE TYPE THIS FORM AND THEN PRINT IT TO ENSURE ACCURACY!
- Check Permission to accept employment
- #10 If you don't need a Social Security card, skip to number 14
- #14 Requires 11 digit number from I-94 card
- #15 If the student has never worked on OPT in the past, skip to number 16
- #20 Type (C) (3) (B)
- #21 is for students applying for STEM Extension only -- leave blank
- Under Certification:
Sign, telephone number, date
- Incomplete or incorrect applications will not be processed and will result in the delay of your OPT application.
- Your documents will be reviewed by the International Center to ensure accuracy
For the Form G-1145: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/g-1145.pdf
- Type this form and download. USCIS sends an e-mail or text verifying that your application has arrived.
- Complete the form and place it on top of all the application.
- Attached Signature Card
- Download the form. Sign your name inside the small box.
- The signature must be completely inside the lines of the box. Failure to do so may result in the delay of your application.
- Passport photos must be taken within the past 30 days.
- Two glossy color photos taken on an off-white background.
- The photos should be passport style showing a full frontal view of your face.
- The photos must be 2x2 inches, head height should be 1" to 1 3/8" from top to bottom of chin, eye height is between 1 1/8" to 1 3/8" from bottom of photo.
- Lightly print your name and the I-94 number on the back of each photo in pencil not ink pen.
- Place the photos in a small clear sandwich or snack bag.
- Check, Cashier’s Check or Money Order are acceptable. NO CASH
- Make a check payable to: US Dept of Homeland Security
- The amount is $410
Contact the Front Desk of the International Center to schedule an appointment with an Advisor. Come in personally, email at email@example.com or call 909-869-3267.
- At the OPT appointment, you will receive a new I-20 with the OPT dates.
- All documents will be copied and specific instructions provide for mailing the packet at USPS are given.
- Students can report directly into the SEVP protal. You will receive an email regarding your access.
- View more information at https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/create-an-sevp-portal-account