On-Campus Employment

Under U.S. Federal regulations F-1 students are permitted to accept on-campus employment only on the campus at which they are enrolled. Employment must be restricted to 20 hours per week when classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week when classes are not in session. Under no circumstances are you permitted to accept off-campus employment without the authorization of the International Center and/or the U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). To do so is to violate USCIS law and would result in the loss of your F-1 visa status.

How to Look for Job Openings On-Campus

F-1 International Student Practical Training

“Practical Training” is paid or unpaid employment in the academic major field of study listed on your I-20 form. This is the major you are taking classes in while studying in the U.S. at Cal Poly Pomona and not the major from your home university.

There are two types of practical training:

Adam Green's Presentation on post-graduation visa options and green cards

J-1 Exchange Academic Training