VANCOUVER ALTERNATIVE SPRING BREAK 2018
Vancouver & Victoria, Canada
Students will spend 6 days in Vancouver and 2 days in Victoria for an Alternative Spring Break to study International Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs).
Area(s) of Study
Participating students will sign up for PLS 499: "International NGOs" in the Winter Quarter. This group will travel to Vancouver during Spring Break and will sign up for CLS 482 "International Fieldwork" in the Spring Quarter.
Students will create their own nonprofit organization in this class. This course will examine the missions of international NGOs such as Doctors Without Borders, MAP International, The Red Cross, The Salvation Army, World Vision, Habitat for Humanity, CARE, and The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Education Beyond Borders
- Oxfam Canada
- Food for the Hungry Canada
- Latitude Global Volunteering
- Engineers Without Borders--Vancouver Chapter
- Canadian Crossroads International
- Global Aid Network
- Health for Humanity
- Reach Out to Africa
- Universal Outreach Foundation
- Willing Hearts International Society Canada
Language(s) of Instruction
Sophomore standing at time of program start date
A minimum cumulative CPP GPA of 2.5
Students will be lodging in a double-occupancy hotel room.
The program cost is $1,880* (approx*) and includes the following:
- Meals (2/day)
- Site Visits/Excursion Fees
- Ground Transportation
- Student Travel Insurance
Please obtain a deposit slip from Grace Olguin at the International Center (1-104). Students pay $100 non-refundable application fee and regular Cal Poly Pomona tuition for the Winter and/or Spring Quarter course. Students are responsible for obtaining a passport. Scholarships are available!
- Personal spending money
- One meal/day
Spring Break: March 16 - 25
- University of British Columbia
- UBC Museum of Anthropology
- Vancouver Olympic Village
- Stanley Park
- Queen Elizabeth Park
- Granville Island Public Market
- Vancouver Aquarium
- Canada Place
- Bill Reid Gallery
- Capilano Suspension Bridge Park
- Science World British Columbia
- Vancouver Lookout
- Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden
- University of Victoria
- Butchart Gardens
- Craigdarroch Castle
- Royal BC Museum
Application Deadline: December 8
Contact Dr. Renford Reese email@example.com for additional information.