CSU International Programs

International Programs (IP) is the systemwide study abroad program of the CSU and provides students with international academic opportunities in the framework of a California State University degree program. IP is affiliated with over 50 distinguished universities and other institutions of higher education in 19 countries. Currently in its 47th year of continuous operation, the academic excellence of IP has been recognized by respected organizations such as the Council on Learning and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. With a special focus on academic year studies, IP is a unique part of the spectrum of study abroad opportunities available to CSU students. IP's guiding principle is that students should be "immersed" in the academic and living environments of their host countries. Accordingly, all instruction is offered by recognized host universities or by distinguished host country faculty.
  • Official Programs of the CSU.
  • Year long program.
  • Low cost.
  • Earn CSU credit.
  • Language requirements vary by country.
  • GPA requirement 2.75-3.0.
  • Application deadline February 1st for most countries.
  • Application deadline for Australia and New Zealand is May 1st.

How to apply?

Apply Online at http://www.calstate.edu/ip/prospective-students/how-to-apply.shtml

You can visit the website for more information:  www.calstate.edu/ip

Prospective Students

Gain A Competitive Edge

Acquire the international experience you'll need to compete in the job market. Study abroad and stand apart from the rest.

Enhance Your Education

Stay on track toward graduation and take courses in your major or minor. Learn another language or declare a minor that will enhance your university degree.

It's More Affordable Than You Think

IP is the most affordable study abroad option available to CSU students. Why stay home when you can earn CSU credit overseas for about the same amount of money? Scholarships are available.


  • Students earn regular CSU resident credit for all coursework abroad. Planned correctly, studying abroad with IP will not add extra time to your CSU degree program.
  • International Programs is supported by the state of California. Student fees cover a portion of the cost.**
  • International Programs assists in international arrangements including academic planning, transportation, visas, housing and other matters.
  • Once abroad, students receive assistance from CSU resident staff and/or host institution staff.

Financial Aid

Any financial aid you qualify for on your home campus (except work study) can be applied to your year abroad with IP. Every year nearly three-fourths of all IP students receive student aid in the form of grants, loans, or scholarships. Eligibility may differ for graduate and post baccalaureate students. You should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after January 1. The application is now available online at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Also see the IP Financing PDF brochure.

Eligibility Requirements

Eligibility requirements for each program are provided in the country flyers. Most programs require a 2.75 GPA while others require a 3.0. In a few cases, students who do not meet the GPA requirement can be considered.

Applicants must be enrolled in a CSU campus or be eligible to transfer from a California community college. For most programs, applicants must have upper-division standing status or classified graduate status. Some programs may be more competitive than others. When there are more applicants than places available, the best qualified are selected.

**The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees, without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular program has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees.

Where can you study?

For a more up to date program list, you can visit their website: www.calstate.edu/ip/programs/programs.shtml

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information:
Laura Lee, Study Abroad Program Specialist
email: llee@cpp.edu
phone: 909-869-4682

Get Adobe Reader