In May 2004, the IT Governance Executive Committee met for a planning workshop to begin to envision the desired future state of information technology and Cal Poly Pomona. After extensive and wide ranging discussions, the committee adopted the following statement on the purpose and role of Information Technology as a target for the campus to build towards.
Information technology is a catalyst for productivity, creativity, and community that enhances learning opportunities in an environment of unlimited demands and limited resources.
At Cal Poly Pomona, Information Technology:
- Serves as a seamless and transparent utility, easy-to-use and worry-free
- Fosters new and non-traditional educational opportunities, free of time and place restrictions, and supports life-long learning
- Supports community and communication by offering tools for collaboration
- Provides an infrastructure for efficient and effective processes and services to benefit students, staff, faculty, and the community
- Offers easy and effective access to information, in support of learning, research, planning, and personal and professional development
- Accommodates and enables a wide variety of learning and working styles and needs for a diverse community
- Creates an attractive environment for students, faculty and staff, providing a competitive edge for recruitment and retention