Encelia and its relatives
This phylogeny is based on phenotypic features, and is tentative. Initial results from the intercistronic transcribed spacer of nrDNA (ITS) strongly support the basal branching scheme.
Supporting features are listed below.
- The genus Encelia. Cypsela with constricted apical notch.
- "Frutescens clade". No resin ducts, no benzopyrans or benzofurans.
- Erect fruiting heads.
- Multicellular-based broad trichomes.
- "Californica clade". Unique benzopyran-benzofuran dimer, UV reflecting rays.
- Brown disk corollas, moniliform hairs.
- Brown stigmas.
- Paniculate capitulescence, curly unicellular-based hairs.
This page Copyright © 2000 by Curtis Clark. Last revision Sunday, May 28, 2000. Images are free for personal or educational use; for all other uses, please see the
Space for this page is provided by California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. Although it is intended to further the educational mission of the University, the opinions expressed here are those of Curtis Clark, and do not represent official policy of the University.