Strategic Plan: 2014-2019
This plan updates the previous plan for 2009-2014. In 2009 each Library unit produced a plan with goals and strategic objectives for their unit. This involved Access Services, Reference, Instruction, and Collections, Bibliographic Access Services, Special Collections and Archives, and Systems. From these plans six major themes emerged. These themes became our goals for this strategic plan.
The University Library's mission is to provide all students, faculty, staff, and administrators with effective and equitable access to the recorded information necessary to support the University's instruction, research, and public service mission, to respond to the need of all members of the University community to be library and information literate, and to provide a rich independent learning environment where information can be explored and assimilated into knowledge.
The University Library will be indispensable to learning, teaching, and scholarship at Cal Poly Pomona. We will
- PROVIDE collections, services, and support for research and scholarly communication to sustain the university's mission;
- PROMOTE free inquiry, critical thinking, and the exchange of ideas;
- TRANSFORM the library into the intellectual, social, and technological center of the university community through the design of physical and virtual environments that incorporate innovative technologies and services; and
- CREATE a workplace of choice
The Library supports the University's core values: the polytechnic identity, academic quality, learn by doing, teacher-scholars, environmental sustainability, and the celebration of diversity by being committed to the above mission and by being an active participant in the campus initiatives and priorities.
The Library Strategic Plan includes the following six goals:
- Maintaining a cadre of librarians and staff with strong technological skills and expertise
- Creating a learning environment where all students have the opportunity to succeed
- Cultivating strong connections with campus constituencies, departments, and divisions
- Managing the library collections
- Leadership in scholarly communications through an institutional repository (IR)
- Library spaces (physical and virtual)
Library Goals and Strategic Objectives
Goal 1. Maintaining a Cadre of Librarians and Staff with Strong Technological Skills and Expertise (Aligns with Goal 4 of the University's Strategic Plan)
A constantly growing and evolving academic environment requires a high-caliber, engaged, and fulfilled Library staff that can both adapt to changes and also create and advocate for changes it deems critical to the University's and the Library's success. The Library depends upon a vibrant work culture, one that encourages collaboration, embraces change, and respects a diversity of staff identities, thoughts, and actions. This is necessary to the Library's continued success in support of curricular and non-curricular needs of the University and community.
- Objective 1a. Hiring and retaining a sufficient number of librarians and staff to support the learning, teaching, and scholarship services offered by the Library in support of CPP's curriculum.
- Objective 1b. Continuing the Library's commitment to recruiting a diverse staff.
- Objective 1c. Ensuring that librarians and staff have opportunities to take advantage of various professional development programs, training, and other professional experiences.
- Objective 1d. Developing internal training programs and/or utilizing external programs that will enhance employees' ability to meet job requirements and prepare for advancement in an increasingly technological environment.
- Objective 1e. Developing a Library Employee Recognition program to facilitate communication within the Library and to celebrate the employees' accomplishments.
Goal 2. Creating a Learning Environment Where All Students Have the Opportunity to Succeed (Aligns with Goals 1, 2, and 3 of the University's Strategic Plan)
The services that the Library provide are essential to the success of our students and to the overall excellence of the University. Building upon our core services, we will intensify our efforts to support intellectual curiosity and to remove any existing or potential barriers to information discovery and delivery.
- Objective 2a. Working with the Learning Resource Center's tutors to better familiarize them of library services and resources.
- Objective 2b. Continuing to work with faculty on integrating Information Literacy into the university curriculum.
- Objective 2c. Developing an Information Literacy course for area E in GE to be taught by librarians.
- Objective 2d. Assessing the Library's role and contribution in student success.
- Objective 2e. Improving the exposure and promotion of our collections, spaces, and services to the student body.
- Objective 2f. Increasing our capacity to deliver, evaluate, and improve library services.
- Objective 2g. Including student representatives on the Library Advisory Council.
- Objective 2h. Continuing to expand and create teaching and learning programs and resources that educate our users in the use of library resources at point of need.
- Objective 2i. Improving services and user satisfaction at all points of contact.
- Objective 2j. Develop programs to support teacher-scholars
Goal 3. Cultivating Strong Connections with Campus Constituencies, Departments, and Divisions (Aligns with Goals 2, 5, and 8 of the University's Strategic Plan)
Promote and develop support for the library's collections and services by engaging the university and wider communities through fundraising, partnerships, publications, exhibitions, and events.
- Objective 3a. Partnering with other campus entities, such as the Research Council, the Faculty Center, the Learning Resource Center, and academic departments to promote workshops and programs.
- Objective 3b. Utilizing communication tools and outlets both to solicit input and share information.
- Objective 3c. Engaging in the campus community via robust programs, workshops, and other outreach efforts.
- Objective 3d. Continuing to develop and promote library spaces for learning, teaching and research, based on users' needs.
- Objective 3e. Developing fundraising efforts to cultivate donor relationships and increase funding for the Library.
- Objective 3f. Utilizing the Outreach Committee to develop a program to raise the university community's awareness of the Library's services, events, spaces, and resources.
Goal 4. Managing the Library Collections (Aligns with Goals 2 and 6 of the University's Strategic Plan)
As the amount of information grows and the methods of information access evolve, it becomes increasingly important for the Library to acquire, organize, and disseminate information in a strategic manner. By streamlining the path between information discovery and delivery, the Library can help students navigate the vast and sometimes confusing information landscape, making their research more effective, and contributing directly to their academic success.
- Objective 4a. Evaluating and improving overall collection management, emphasizing availability and accessibility of materials.
- Objective 4b. Continuing to develop and manage the collection in an array of formats to support the curriculum.
- Objective 4c. Continuing to support subscriptions to databases and the acquisition of digital resources that can be accessed online by the campus community.
- Objective 4d. Continuing to support the acquisition of new computers and other digital equipment to increase access to a robust on-line collection.
- Objective 4e. Continuing to ensure equitable access to information as technology evolves.
- Objective 4f. Continuing to showcase Library collections to connect our users with ideas and materials from across the disciplines.
Goal 5. Leadership in Scholarly Communications through an Institutional Repository (IR) (Aligns with Goals 5 and 6 of the University's Strategic Plan)
Promote and advance successful, creative, and transformational research and scholarship by providing an environment and services that facilitate the creation, management, dissemination, and preservation of the university's intellectual and creative output.
- Objective 5a. Implementing an IR platform that would allow faculty and students to build up our campus-wide resources by adding content, helping to create directories, etc.
- Objective 5b. Working with faculty and departments to make uploading their publications, etc., to the IR a common practice.
- Objective 5c. Working with the Colleges, faculty, and divisions to ensure that all students' thesis, portfolios, research projects, faculty publications, and campus documents are submitted to the Library in electronic form.
- Objective 5d. Developing a strategy to gather, preserve, and digitize the collections currently in Special Collections and Archives.
- Objective 5e. Developing a robust and accessible digital collections repository that effectively gathers and promotes the scholarship and digital collections produced by the university community.
Goal 6. Library Spaces (physical and virtual) (Aligns with Goals 3 and 7 of the University's Strategic Plan)
The Library must provide facilities that serve all users while remaining flexible for future needs. Well-designed and usable spaces are key to ensuring our ability to provide core services and to support the pedagogical practices of the University. We must create and maintain technology-rich physical and virtual library spaces as destinations of choice that are welcoming, flexible, and which are safe and foster creativity, enable collaboration, and encourage discovery.
- Objective 6a. Investigating various models of service desks to improve users' experiences in the Library.
- Objective 6b. Continuing to develop websites that improve users' online experiences.
- Objective 6c. Participating in the LOFT collection usage project. This may free up space currently used for shelves for other purposes.
- Objective 6d. Meeting with Pfeiffer Architects to discuss possible space planning and redesign.
- Objective 6e. Protecting spaces for quiet study.
- Objective 6f. Addressing inadequate space in Special Collections and Archives for the collections.
- Objective 6g. Continuing to promote the Library as a place.