Special Collections and Archives Internship Opportunity
HIST 499: Public History Internship
Special Collections, University Archives, and the W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library is seeking an energetic and organized special collections intern for the Spring 2017 quarter. The department collects, organizes, preserves, and makes available Cal Poly Pomona's rare books and archival collections. The collections center around themes relevant to the mission of the university and consist of rare and unique books and documents that are available for use by students, faculty, staff, alumni, and scholars. These historic materials support research and teaching at Cal Poly Pomona and promote our institution's heritage.
The intern would have the opportunity to learn about archival theory and practice while working with the Head of Special Collections to continue to develop one or more of these collections. The intern may work with collection materials such as photographs, letters, drawings, newspaper clippings, brochures, and other historical documents. The Head of Special Collections and the intern will establish duties and expectations at the beginning of the quarter, based on collection needs and student interest, which may include some of the following:
- Survey archival collections to determine their organizational and preservation needs.
- Compile an inventory of materials in a particular collection, and work with the Head of Special Collections to determine the appropriate organization for the collection.
- Preserve materials by re-housing them in archival-quality folders and boxes.
- Organize and describe materials in a finding aid.
- Provide metadata for materials in the image database.
- Participate in an oral history project.
To apply, download an application form and return it to Katie Richardson by noon Monday, March 6th. The successful applicant will enroll in HIST 499 during the Spring 2017 quarter. Contacts: Katie Richardson, Head of Special Collections, firstname.lastname@example.org; Alexis Adkins, Archivist, email@example.com; Dr. Eileen Wallis, History Department Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org