Kellogg and Arabian Horses
- 1893: Chicago World’s Fair: 45 Arabians on display
- 1925: W.K. Kellogg purchases 377 acres in Pomona (for $250,000) for Ranch
- 1926: First Kellogg Arabian film star: Rudolph Valentino rides Jadaan in Son of the Sheik
- 1930s: "Sunday Shows" draw crowds
- 1932: Kellogg donates 750-acre Arabian Horse Ranch and 87 Arabians to University of California
- 1943-8: Ranch ran by War Department, as “Pomona Quartermaster Depot (Remount)”
- 1948: Ranch transfers to U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- 1949: Ranch goes through W.K. Kellogg Foundation to State of California: herd must be maintained and public educated about Arabian horses
Becoming a University
- 1956: California Polytechnic State College, San Luis Obispo, Voorhis Unit moves from San Dimas to Ranch (called Kellogg campus)
- First volumes added to Arabian horse collection from Kellogg Stables and Voorhis Campus Library
- Arabian horse collection moves to Pomona, shelved in glass case and permitted to circulate
- 1966: Kellogg campus separates from SLO, becomes a state college (called California State Polytechnic College, Kellogg Campus)
- 1972: Kellogg Campus granted University status (called California State Polytechnic University, Pomona or Cal Poly Pomona)
- 1975: Arabian horse collection growing: special facilities constructed in University Library, collection no longer circulates (about 70 volumes)
- 1975-1980s: Arabian horse collection expands, becomes one of world's largest public collections
Arabian Horse Library
- 1982: Arabian horse collection gets new name: W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library
- 1990s-2007: W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library separates from University Library: moves into Bronco Student Center, then "Old Stables"; Collection often inaccessible due to space and staffing restrictions/limitations
- 2007: Kellogg Foundation Grant to create a new space for W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library
- 2010: W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Library returns to University Library
- 2011, March: Construction begins inside University Library on first floor, May: New specialist starts, collection development brings total to nearly 1,200 items, December: Construction complete
- 2012, February 1: New space opens
- 2013, January: Collection totals nearly 6,000 items
Aug 29, 2013: HorseTalk, "W.K. Kellogg Arabian Horse Center marks 75 years"
May 4, 2013: MiceChat, The Kellogg House: "Corn Flake King’s Summer Palace"
Apr 7, 2013: CBS Sunday Morning, "Almanac: Birth of a Breakfast Cereal King" (about W.K. Kellogg)
Nov/Dec 2012: WestWays, "Horse Sense: Cereal Tycoon W.K. Kellogg’s Arabian Horse Ranch in Pomona"
Feb 10, 2012: Arabian Horse Association, "Arabian Horse Library Opens to Public"
Feb 3, 2012: Horsetalk, "Arabian Horse Library Opens to Public"
Nov 19, 2011: Horsetalk, "New Arabian Horse Library Officially Opened"
Aug 23, 2011: Horsetalk, "Exciting Future for Arabian Horse Collection"
Jul 28, 2010: Horsetalk, "Arabian Horses a Living Reminder of Remarkable Man"
Jul 13, 2001: LA Times, "Horse Lovers Head for the Shrine"