LibStARs Job Description
After participating in the library’s “A LibStAR is Born” training program, which will equip students with advanced knowledge about the University Library’s resources and services, Library Student Assistant Researchers (LibStARs) will provide library information and assistance at the Research Help Desk and via online chat help. Working as a member of the Library Student Assistant Research Support (LibStARS) team provides students with the opportunity to develop important skills that will benefit them academically, professionally, and personally, including advanced research, information literacy, critical thinking, interpersonal, and communication skills. LibStARS responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Communicating effectively with patrons at the Research Help Desk and via online chat to determine their information needs.
- Providing answers to basic library resources and services questions both face-to-face and via online chat.
- Providing help navigating the library’s physical and virtual spaces, including accessing basic research tools and finding specific library materials.
- Referring advanced research questions to on-call librarians.
- Participating in ongoing training to continue developing library knowledge and skills.
- Assisting in the design and delivery of training to future LibStARs.
- Documenting Research Help Desk questions and statistics.
- Friendly, patient, out-going, and service-oriented.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Proficient computer and Internet skills.
- Experience using the library catalog and library databases.
- Previous experience in a customer service position.