Cal Poly Womens Club Collection
Cal Poly Womens Club/Barbara Dev, Betty Krug
Number of containers: 4 boxes; Linear feet: 4
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona: University Library Special Collections, Bldg 15, room 4434.
The Cal Poly Women's club was started in 1947 as the "Faculty Wives Club", a social and service club for faculty and staff wives. The collection contains binders, files, photographs and memorabilia relating to the clubs operation and activities from 1949-1998. Arranged chronologically.
The Cal Poly Womens Club is one of the oldest organizations associated with Cal Poly Pomona. It was begun by Gwen Lamiman (or Mrs. John Lamiman, as she was then known) during the early Voorhis days of the California State Polytechnic College Agricultural Unit at San Dimas. The club was officially organized in 1947, but might have been conducting informal meetings as early as 1940. As the club was created for the wives of the faculty and staff members of the school, the original name of the club was "The Faculty Wives Club."
Membership was open to "all women connected with the faculty and staff." Club activities were centered around popular interests of the time, including sewing, cooking, gardening, bridge, theater, fashion shows, bowling, book reviews, and charitable activities and worthy causes. The most memorable of the clubs functions was its annual fall banquet for all employees and their spouses. It was the major social event of the year until the staff and faculty members (and their spouses) numbered too many for the club to handle; and so the event was replaced by the annual Presidents Reception. The club also sponsored Christmas parties for the children of students and employees, with faculty member "Jolly" Batcheller playing Santa Claus for many years.
At the end of the 20th century, the club did not enjoy the level of membership and campus participation it once knew. Regardless, the remaining members of the CPWC continued to annually provide substantial scholarships to outstanding women students on campus. In 1995, the clubs consistent contribution of scholarship funds every academic year led to its recognition by President Bob Suzuki for its dedication to higher education.
Scope and Content
The collection arrived in no discernible order and was rearranged into chronological order. Some photographs and correspondence were placed in acid-free envelopes. Two notebooks containing financial information were removed to be returned to the club. Some loose documents were placed in appropriate binders or given their own folders. The collection also includes club organizational binders and documents, club memorabilia, photographs and scrapbooks, and a laminated wall plaque.
Cal Poly Womens Club Materials, UA2000/18/1-4
4 boxes, chronological order
3-ring binders, files, photographs, miscellany and memorabilia relating to the clubs operation, organization, and functions from 1968 to 1998.
Cal Poly Womens Club Collection, UA2000/18/1-4
1) Box 1
- Binder 1976-1977. Black 1 1/2" 3-ring binder. Meeting minutes 1976-1977
- Folder 1984. Board minutes May 9, 1984
- Binder 1985-1986. Green 1" 3-ring binder. "C.P.W.C. 1985-1986." Materials relating to clubs operation 1985-1986
- Binder 1988-1989. Black 2" 3-ring binder. Materials relating to clubs operation 1988-89
- Binder 1992-1994. Grey 3 1/2" 3-ring binder. "CPWC Pat Hopkins. 1992-93. 1993-94." Materials relating to clubs operation
- Binder 1994-1996. White 3" 3-ring binder. "Cal Poly Womens Club." Materials relating to clubs operation 1994-1995, 1995-1996
- Binder 1996-1997. Black 3" 3-ring binder. "Cal Poly Womens Club Barbara Dev, President 1996-97." Materials relating to clubs operation
2) Box 2
- Binder 1997-1998. Blue 1" 3-ring binder. Materials relating to clubs operation 1997-98
- Binder 1998. Brown vinyl 1" 3-ring binder. "Notebook for 1998 Nan Miller, Chairperson"
- Pocket folder 1968-1994. Light blue pocket folder. "Past Constitutions. 1968, 1973, 1986, 1987, 1994. Cal Poly Womens Club." Includes membership list 1994-1995.
- Binder 1979-1997. Black 3" 3-ring binder. Cal Poly Womens Club Newsletter September 1979 March 1994, September 1997. Includes announcement fliers for special events in chronological order.
- Pocket folder 1983-1993. Yellow Cal Poly Pomona pocket folder. "Newsletter Emily Roeder"
- Binder 1996. White 1" 3-ring binder. "CPWC Fashion Show." Materials relating to planning of fundraising fashion show 1996
- Envelope 1998. White letter-sized envelope. "Door Prize Sources Fashion Show 1998"
- Envelope 1981. "Quilt Show 1981 & Raffle"
- Binder 1981-1986. Blue 2 1/2" 3-ring binder. "Quilt Show Records"
- Binder 1986. Yellow 1 1/2" 3-ring binder. "Quilt Show 1986"
3) Box 3
- Binder 1995-1997. Green Cal Poly Pomona 2 1/2" 3-ring binder. 1995, 96, 97 scholarship documents
- Binder 1998-1999. Green 1" 3-ring binder. Materials relating to CPWCs scholarship reception 1998-1999
- Folder 1985-1989, 1995-1996. Letter-sized manila folder. "Copies Member List." Membership lists 1985-1986, 1986-1987, 1987-1988, 1988-1989, 1995-1996.
- Folder 1972-1983. Letter-sized manila folder. Social directories for various colleges of Cal Poly Pomona 1972, 1973, 1982-1983
- Folder 1953-1977. Student Loan Fund documents 1953-1954, 1965, 1977.
- Folder April 10, 1989. Cal Poly Pomona Bulletin 50th Anniversary Quilt presentation article and photo
- Folder 1973-1993. Luncheon/Fashion Show programs and invitations to the Cal Poly Womens Club
- Envelope 1996-1998. 4x6 photographs. "Installation of new Officers, End of the Year celebration" etc.
- Envelope 1965-1972. Yearbooks 1965-1972 (excluding 1968-1969)
- Envelope1984-1998. Correspondence. "Mainly St. Claire Smith Scholarship"
4) Box 4
- Scrapbook 1977-1998. Scrapbook of CPWCs Needlecraft Group 1977-1998
- Scrapbook 1973-1978. Spiral bound scrapbook of scholarship recipients 1973-1978
- Scrapbook April 18, 1998. Blue 9x13 1/2" photo album. "Cal Poly Womens Club Fashion Show April 18, 1998." Photos, negs, & paraphernalia
- Award Ribbons 1985. (1) red "2nd Place Exhibit" and (2) gold "3rd Place Exhibit" PolyVue 1985 ribbons
- Plaque. "Certificate of Appreciation Presented to the Cal-Poly Womens Club. November 1, 1995. University Scholarship Program."
- Guest Register Book 1980-1983. Contains some addresses
5) Cal Poly Womens Club Scrapbooks
- Scrapbook 1949-1960. 15" x 12" x 1 3/4" Leather bound with black diamond in tan rectangle on cover. Club rosters and various pamphlets, fliers, newsclippings and memorabilia (napkins, placemats) from activities of the Cal Poly Womens Club - also known simply as the Womens Club.
- Scrapbook 1960-1968. 15" x 12" x 2" Ivory imitation leather bound. Contents same as above.
- Scrapbook 1968-1972. 16 1/2" x 13" x 2" Imitation leather with gold embossed spine. Contents same as above.
- Scrapbook 1972-1977. 15" x 12" x 2" Imitation leather. Contents same as above.
January 25, 2001