Skip To Content

Domestice and Dating Violence

Domestic and dating violence is when one person is verbally or physically abusive or controlling of their romantic partner.

The Facts
  • 32% of college students report dating violence by a previous partner, and 21% report violence by a current partner.
  • Women ages 16-24 experience the highest per capita rates of intimate partner violence
  • Dating violence leads to marital violence
  • Jealousy is the most common early sign of abuse
What to do if you experience Domestic or Dating Violence
  • Talk to someone at the violence prevention & Women’s Resource Center
  • Talk to someone you trust (family, friends, professors, etc.)
  • If you want to break-up with your partner, create a safety plan.
  • File a police report or obtain a restraining order.
Reporting Domestic and Dating Violence

An advocate from the Violence Prevention and Women’s Resource Center can accompany you and provide support during the reporting process. You don’t have to do this alone. Your parents won’t be notified unless you are a minor (17 years old or under).

You may report to the police

University Police Department
(909) 869-3070

Should you choose to notify University Police, you will be escorted to a safe place if necessary, and may be transported to a hospital to treat any injuries. Once law enforcement has determined that you are safe, they will conduct an interview. The police officer(s) will ask you to tell them what happened and take notes to write a report. This is the beginning of the police investigation, at this moment they will be gathering as much evidence as possible. You may have a support present with you at the police interview.

When reporting domestic or dating violence, it’s important to collect and preserve evidence. Examples of evidence can include; photographs of any injuries, copies of threatening text messages, emails, voicemails or messages on social media and witness testimonies.

You may report to the campus Title IX Coordinator

Linda M. Hoos
Phone: (909) 869-2708

If you would prefer not to notify the police, you are encouraged to contact and seek assistance from the campus Title IX Coordinator. The campus Title IX Coordinator can provide you with written and verbal information regarding applicable University complaint procedures for investigating and addressing the incident.

You have the option to NOT report

You are strongly encouraged to report any incident of domestic or dating violence. However, non-reporting is also an option for you should you so desire.

If you decide to not report to local authorities or the University you should consider obtaining treatment form a local medical provider to treat any injuries. Another option is visiting the campus counseling center or contacting your local rape crisis center for support.

Please remember that your safety and wellbeing is priority.