|Frequently Asked Questions|
Who are we?
• The Pep Band is a highly spirited organization that supports the athletics department and other student events at Cal Poly Pomona. The band is under the direction of Student Leader Ramiro Castaneda, and is fully supported by both the Athletic and Music Departments. Additional support is provided by co-advisors Ivan Alber (Assistant Athletics Director) and Rickey Badua (Director of Bands), and a Student Council elected each year by the band membership. The purpose of this organization is to serve the CPP community through its support of the athletic teams and through its participation in non-athletic University and community events. The Pep Band consists of members of the CPP community who are dedicated to the quality of the music and a fun atmosphere.
Are there auditions?
• There are no auditions for wind instrument players to gain membership to the Pep Band. Due to the nature of the instruments, we may need to hold auditions for the rhythm section as too many players will lead to not enough playing time, resulting in a slower learning process, and an overall lesser enjoyment of the ensemble for all players.
How do I join?
• Send an email to our secretary and they will get you set up with information on our upcoming events. The secretary’s email is: email@example.com
Who can join?
• Membership in the organization is open to anyone affiliated with the University: students (undergraduate and graduate, full-time) and alumni. Community members and students at other local schools may also join.
I haven’t played in a while, can I still join?
• We have musicians of various playing abilities and experience. The Bronco Pep Band exists for the benefit of everyone! Our goal is to provide the opportunity to continue to play or expand your horizons and learn new instruments.
I don’t have an instrument, or it is too large to bring to college. Does the band have any available?
• There are a limited number of band-owned instruments, which can be used on a first-come, first-served basis. You can use them at rehearsals and performances, and sign them out for practice or personal use by special arrangement with the property Manager
My instrument does not fit in my dorm room; do you have any storage space?
• We have our own secure closet. It is specially designed to protect your instrument from temperature and humidity. You may access the closet before an after rehearsals and performances, or by special appointment with the Pep Bands President.
How much practice is involved?
• Currently the Pep Band practices every Wednesday from 6:30PM to 8:30PM outside the Darlene May Gym.
Can I be a part of other clubs/activities, work AND do Pep Band?
• Of course! Many Pep Band members are involved in numerous other organizations around campus! However, we do expect members to be active and attend both rehearsals/events.
Where does the Pep Band perform?
• The Bronco Pep Band plays at all or most of Cal Poly Pomona Men's and Women's sports games including basketball, volleyball, soccer, baseball. As well as other events both on and off campus throughout the year.
Do I have to be a music major to join?
• No, being a music major is not required for the Pep Band.
Does the Pep Band travel?
• It depends but usually yes. In previous years we have travelled to San Francisco, San Diego and to various Cal States and UC schools around southern and northern California in support of our teams.
Do I have to be a full time student to join the band?
• Yes, in order to become a member of the Pep Band you do have to be a full time student.
What if I have a class that conflicts with Pep Band?If you have a class that conflicts with the band practice schedule you have several options:
• Choose another section of the same class
• Try taking a different class in the fall and shift that class to the spring quarter
• If all else fails, talk to the director about arriving a few minutes late to practice.
|Back to Home Page|
For more information about the Bronco Pep Band contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org