Tutors work one-on-one with program participants in improving their reading and critical thinking skills and in becoming acclimated to the Cal Poly Pomona campus. Tutors receive comprehensive training in reading theories, in working one-on-one with program participants, and in being effective peer mentors to help participants connect to the campus community.
- CPP junior, senior or graduate student in good academic standing;
- Completion of ENG 110/104 and 130/105 with a grade of "B" or higher (or their equivalents);
- Minimum 2.5 overall GPA (3.0 or higher preferred);
- Score at current grade level on the Nelson-Denny Reading Test (program advisors administer this test to all prospective tutors);
- Knowledge of various CPP procedures, offices and organizations related to student interests, desirable.
- Knowledge of literacy theories and tutoring methods, desired but not mandatory;
- Experience working with a multicultural population, desirable;
- Available 8-20 hrs/wk
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work one-on-one with participants to improve their developmental reading, critical comprehension, vocabulary, and reading rate;
- Conduct peer mentoring sessions in small groups on topics such as time management, networking, and graduate school preparation. Provide campus referrals and informational support when needed.
- Attend mandatory program events and training meetings (many of our mandatory events and meetings occur during U-hour on Tuesday or Thursday);
- Complete and accurate documentation of contact hours for each participant.
Please note: RAMP typically begins the application process during each spring term. Access to the Kronos application through the Cal Poly Foundation website will only be available during spring term, until Friday, April 28th 2017. However, RAMP will accept resumes for future consideration throughout the academic year. Please feel free to email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter or drop your resume with a RAMP staff member in the Library (15-2919).
- Apply online using Cal Poly Pomona Foundation's online application. Make sure to attach a resume and cover letter that includes your GPA, class standing (junior, senior, grad student), expected term/year of graduation, employment history, and references.
- Schedule and take the Nelson-Denny Reading Assessment.
- After scoring at or above grade-level, submit two tutor recommendation forms (PDF) from faculty.
- After receipt of both recommendation forms, applicants will receive notification regarding the staff's decision to schedule an interview.