Tutors/Peer mentors work with program participants to improve their reading and critical thinking skills and in becoming acclimated to the Cal Poly Pomona campus. Tutors receive comprehensive training in reading theories, tutoring practices, working one-on-one with program participants, and in being effective peer mentors to help participants connect to the campus community.
- CPP junior, senior, or graduate student in good academic standing
- Completion of A2 & A3 of General Education requirements of a grade of "B" or higher
- Minimum 2.5 overall GPA (3.0 or higher preferred)
- Score at current grade level on the Nelson-Denny Reading Test (program advisors administer this test to select applicants)
- Knowledge of various CPP procedures, offices and organizations related to student interests, desirable
- Knowledge of literacy theories and tutoring methods, desired but not mandatory
- Experience working with a multicultural population, desirable
- Available 8-20 hrs/wk
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with participants to improve their comprehension, vocabulary, critical thinking skills, and reading rate
- Conduct peer mentoring sessions in small groups on topics such as time management, networking, and graduate school preparation
- Provide campus referrals and informational support when needed
- Attend mandatory program events and training meetings (most mandatory events and meetings occur during U-hour on Tuesday or Thursday)
- Complete accurate documentation of contact hours for each participant
Please note: RAMP typically begins the application process during each spring term. Access to the Kronos application through the Cal Poly Foundation website will only be available during spring term. However, RAMP will accept resumes for future consideration throughout the academic year. Please feel free to email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter or submit your resume with a RAMP staff member in the Library (15-2919).
- Apply online using Cal Poly Pomona Foundation's online application. Make sure to attach a cover letter and resume that includes your GPA, class standing (junior, senior, grad student), expected term/year of graduation, employment history, and references.
- Select applicants will be invited to take the Nelson Denny Reading Test.
- After scoring at or above grade-level, you will be invited to submit two tutor recommendation forms (PDF) from faculty.
- After receipt of both recommendation forms, applicants will receive notification regarding the staff's decision to schedule an interview.