Cal Poly Pomona
Human Resource Services
Administrative Affairs Division

Tort Liability - Personal Injury or Property Damage

What is a Tort Liability?

Personal injuries or property damage that occurs on campus are considered "Tort Liabilities." This excludes injuries to University employees while in the course and scope of employment, which would be considered a Workers' Compensation claim. Tort Liability Claims must be filed with the California State Board of Control.


Many rules apply to claims against the California State University.  All claims must be submitted in writing and must strictly comply with the laws that govern claims against state agencies. 

Cal Poly Pomona's Risk Management Office cannot receive claims nor provide guidance or information on how or where to file a claim because to do so would constitute legal advice.