TIMING: You should request to be recommended at
least one month in advance. If I agree to write a letter on your
behalf, you should provide the following information and materials
at least three weeks
in advance of your application due date. If I receive your request
or information late, you should expect your letter to be
|Please send me a single email answering the following
questions and attaching the following materials, or providing links
where available. Not all of this applies to you.|
- What is your name (so that I don't use Sue for Suzanne or
- For students, what is your year and major?
- How long have I known you (years and months), and (for students)
what is my
relationship to you (instructor, research adviser, etc.)?
- What classes have you taken with me, what
grade did you earn, and how did you distinguish yourself in my
classes? (If you did not earn a grade you like or did not
distinguish yourself in any way in my class, you will likely want to
ask another for a recommendation.)
- For CPP students, have you
graded me in one of my courses? If so, for what classes and when?
- What are you applying for (REU, PhD program, Masters program, CPP scholarship, teaching job, industry job, fellowship) and what is the corresponding due
- For undergraduates applying to special (e.g. summer) programs or
fellowships, what are they looking for in candidates (e.g. students with
lots of programming background) and what are the specific
letter writer instructions? A link to the program announcement
should be sufficient.
- What would you like me to address? How would you describe
yourself? What are your strengths?
Important accomplishments? Favorite theorems or papers?
- Who else is writing letters for you? (So I can provide
information which may not otherwise be covered.)
- For students, what are your long term goals? How will this
position/award help you attain that goal?
- What are your extracurricular interests and passions?
- Is there anything else you can think of that might help me?
In the same email as above, please send me links to, or attach the following
- your CV/resume
- for students, your unofficial transcripts
- if applicable, all necessary forms for letter writers (don't
count on me to go through each website to determine what forms I
need to complete)
- preprints or reprints I should pay special attention to
- all materials you will submit with your application
(e.g. personal essay, statement of interest, research summary or