Transfer Students FAQ
- I want to come to Cal Poly Pomona. How do I know what classes I need to take?
- Where do I find my transfer credit report on BroncoDirect?
- What does the transfer credit report contain?
- Why does my coursework from other universities not have specific course equivalency?
- My transfer credit report states that my transfer credit courses do not have an equivalent course in Cal Poly Pomona. However, I would like the course to be considered for a specific requirement in my major. Whom should I speak to about this?
- I completed (or will be completing) a course at Cal Poly Pomona that is equivalent to one of my transfer courses wherein I received a grade that is lower than a C. Can I have that transfer credit course grade excluded from my GPA?
- I am thinking of taking a class at a local community college to satisfy one of my lower-division requirements. Where can I get more information about equivalencies?
- I heard I could only transfer 105 quarter (70 semester) units from my community college. However, more than 105 units are showing in my report. Why?
- What should I do if my transfer courses are not included in the transfer credit report?
- I completed all my GE’s at the community college. Why do I have to take more GE’s here at Cal Poly?
- What is a General Education Certification?
- Does Cal Poly Pomona accept both CSU Breadth General Education Certification and Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)?
- I completed the CSU Breadth General Education Certification pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC). Does this mean I met the American Cultural Perspectives Requirement?
It is best that you meet with your community college advisor to determine which classes to take. You may also use Assist.org as a resource to see which courses are transferrable to CPP. For questions, you may always call the College of Science Advising Center at 909-979-5654.
It is under “View Transfer Credit Report” in BroncoDirect.
The transfer credit report contains courses taken at community colleges and other universities. It is important for students to view their transcript report, to determine if all of their courses have transferred correctly.
Articulation agreements exist only for community colleges. Therefore, courses taken at a different university may receive generic course credits. The best procedure to follow when seeking course equivalencies other than generic transfer credits is to do a petition. Complete a Course Substitution or Acceptance of Transfer Coursework Request (PDF), attach a copy of the course description and course syllabus, and speak to an advisor with your department or visit the College of Science Advising Center in Building 3, Room 1645.
Complete a Course Substitution or Acceptance of Transfer Coursework Request (PDF), attach a copy of the course description and course syllabus, and bring it to the College of Science Advising Center in Building 3, Room 1645.
You can petition for the grade you received in your transfer course to be removed from the calculation of your grade point average by submitting the Grade Forgiveness Through Course Repetition (PDF) petition to your department advisor. Upon obtaining the necessary approval, return the form to the Registrar's Office for recording. Remember, the Grade Forgiveness Policy can be applied to a maximum of 16 quarter units on transfer or CPP coursework.
Go to Assist.org to check for established articulation agreements between colleges and universities and Cal Poly Pomona. If you have questions or would like clarification, please come to the Advising Center and speak to an advisor.
There are specific unit limitations to what can be transferred and/or applied toward your degree at Cal Poly Pomona. Although the maximum number of units that can be applied toward your Cal Poly Pomona degree from the community college is 105 quarter units, subject credit will still be awarded for all transferable courses.
Contact the Admissions & Outreach Office to find out if Cal Poly Pomona has received your transcript from the transfer institution. If it has been received, complete the online Transfer Credit Report Inquiry form so that your transfer courses may be evaluated. Please note that it may take up to a quarter for work to show up on your transfer credit report, after you have had a transcript sent to Cal Poly Pomona.
The GE courses that you took at the community college are lower division courses (100-200). There are three GE areas that are required Upper Division Synthesis courses (300-400 level). These GE’s are B5- Science & Technology Synthesis, C4- Humanities Synthesis, & D4- Social Science Synthesis. Your support courses for your major may cover these courses. Consult an Advisor in the Advising Center (Building 3, Room 1645) for more information.
“Certification” refers to official notification from a California community college that a transfer student has completed courses fulfilling CSU general education requirements.
Yes, when it is completed in accordance with Executive Order 1033.
Completing the CSU Breadth General Education Certification pattern or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) does not guarantee satisfaction of the American Cultural Perspectives Requirement. Contact the Registrar's Office for more details