Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship
The College of Science is pleased to announce the establishment of the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship. Established with a donation and pledge of $10,000 from Mr. And Mrs. Kim and a match of $3,000 from the Xerox Foundation, the scholarship will be awarded to a senior or graduate student who demonstrates academic excellence and a commitment to the study and understanding of Mathematics and Science.
- The Scholarship will be called the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship.
- The Scholarship will be a $500 sum awarded annually at the Cal Poly Pomona College of Science Annual Scholarship Recognition Program.
- The College of Science encourages a family representative to be present to make the award. This gives students a better opportunity to understand Mr. Kim's dedication to teaching and overall enthusiasm for learning.
- A plaque briefly describing the purpose of the award, and listing the names of all recipients, will be placed in a prominent position within the College of Science Office.
Selection of Recipients
- Although the goal is to give one scholarship every year, the overriding intention is to recognize individuals with outstanding commitments to the study of Mathematics and Science. To this end, there is no stipulated requirement that only one scholarship is awarded each year. When funds from earnings on the endowed fund allow, more than one scholarship may be awarded.
- This scholarship will be awarded to a student who demonstrates academic excellence and a commitment to the study and understanding of Mathematics and Science. It will recognize academic excellence by awarding scholarships to students with a 3.30 grade point average in Mathematics and Science core courses and a 3.0 overall grade point average.
- To qualify for consideration an applicant must either have achieved senior (135 quarter units completed) or graduate standing or will have achieved such standing by the beginning of the Fall Quarter following the award. Only students in good academic standing with the University will be considered in the pool of eligible persons. Eligible persons must have been enrolled in one of Cal Poly Pomona College of Science's degree programs for a period of not less than one calendar year prior to being declared eligible, and have sufficient academic obligations remaining to require continued residence at least one academic year following receipt of the award.
- Candidates must apply for the Scholarship through the University Scholarship Program administered by the Office of Student Financial Aid. Scholarship recipients may re-apply for the scholarship. Application materials included by the University Scholarship Program include the Cal Poly Pomona University Scholarship application form; a personal essay, two letters of recommendation, and transcript(s).
- The University Scholarship Program will pre-screen applications and forward a pool of five applicants to the Mr. And Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship Selection Committee. Arranged by the Office of Financial Aid Scholarship Administrator, this committee will conduct personal interviews and make a final review to select the candidate in late Spring Quarter. Student interviews will be conducted in a casual, informal, non-confrontational manner and shall serve as a means to establish commonalties between the applicant and the ideals of Mr. Kim. The Selection Committee must agree on a single successful individual by a unanimous vote.
Scholarship Selection Committee
- Voting members of the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship Selection Committee will be fixed at three persons and will include the College of Science Chair, a College of Science Faculty Member, and a representative of the Keith Soon Kim family.
- The Keith Soon Kim family is responsible for the selection of its representative.
- Changes in the scholarship guidelines and additional scholarship awards will be considered annually when the Selection Committee meets.
Endowment/Scholarship Fund Management
- Cal Poly Pomona Foundation, Inc. will manage the investment of the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship endowment fund.
- The principal of the Mr. and Mrs. Keith Soon Kim College of Science Scholarship will forever remain intact. The minimum award amount will be $500, using only the investment proceeds from the endowment.
- The Keith Soon Kim family strongly encourages the Scholarship Board of Directors to annually award all available investment earnings to eligible students.