Welcome Prospective Scholars!
"I had never been given the chance to connect the dots of my existence, to see the shape
and the course of my life, to observe for myself how everything had happened had its reason, its lesson.
To talk was liberation from the prison of silence, from the burden of my own secrets."
— Antwone Fisher, Finding Fish
Become a Scholar
By joining the community of foster youth in Renaissance Scholars, you get the opportunity to connect with a support system that will help and encourage you throughout your journey at Cal Poly Pomona. Becoming a Renaissance Scholar student means participating in a partnership, to assist you in successfully meeting academic, personal and professional goals, which will support your overall success as a Cal Poly Pomona student, as well as a Renaissance Scholar and EOP student.
Through active participation in program events and activities, committing to your academic success, and developing supportive relationships with faculty, staff, and other students, you will be equipped with the tools you need to reach your academic and personal life potential.
- Financial Assistance
- Access to On-Campus Housing (year-round)
- Priority Registration
- Summer Bridge
- Transfer Bridge
- Renaissance Scholars Seminars (Life Skills and Transition)
- Academic Advising
- Peer Mentoring
- Tutorial Services
- Counseling Services
- Basic Health Care Services & Education
- Student Activities (Fall Kick-Off, Winter Retreat, Celebration of Excellence, etc.)
- Leadership Development and Educational Enrichment Opportunities (Community Service & Financial Literacy Workshops, etc.)
The Renaissance Scholars program admits potential Scholars who meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrate high motivation and academic potential to succeed in college
- Be a current or former foster youth between the ages of 17-24
Potential students must submit the following to complete an application package for consideration:
- Must apply & qualify for admissions to Cal Poly Pomona as a freshman or transfer student (Deadline – November 30th)
- Apply to Cal Poly Pomona at www2.calstate.edu/apply
- Must apply & qualify for EOP (Educational Opportunity Program) This application is found with in Cal State Apply
- For income eligibility information, & to apply to EOP visit:https://secure.csumentor.edu/planning/eop/
- Must apply and qualify for the Renaissance Scholars program (Deadline – January 15th)
- Must apply for FAFSA by the Priority Deadline of March 2nd & qualify as an “independent” student under federal financial aid guidelines
- Visit www.fafsa.ed.gov to complete the FAFSA's online application