Summer Bridge Champion Position
Description and Application Instructions
Become a Summer Bridge Champion (SB Champion)!
DATES OF EMPLOYMENT: NO EXCEPTIONS
Monday, June 12, through Friday, June 16, 2017, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. each day
Opening Day: Sunday, June 18, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Program: June 19 – July 20, 2017 – Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The campus is on a 4/10 schedule (4 days a week, 10 hours a day)
Debrief and evaluations:
Monday, July 24, 2017, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
SUMMER BRIDGE PROGRAM DATES: June 18 – July 20, 2017
COMPENSATION: Stipend – $2,800
DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 11:59 p.m.
SUMMER BRIDGE PURPOSE:
Summer Bridge is a college transition program for incoming EOP first-year students to help them get acquainted with university culture prior to enrolling in their first term at Cal Poly Pomona. The program aims to expose students to academic and social expectations, policies and regulations, and resources and services. These transition program also intend to help students develop meaningful relationships with faculty, staff, and peers to cultivate academic and personal support networks that will enhance their college experience and support their overall success through graduation.
POSITION DUTIES, ROLES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the direction of the Summer Bridge coordinator and the Transition Programs Assistant (TPA), SB Champions will assist with the following duties during the daytime part of the program:
- Report to the Transition Programs Assistant (TPA) for work assignments and schedules
- Be available every day of the program from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Monitor student discipline and enforce program rules and regulations
- Develop activities and icebreakers as a group to facilitate either as a group or on your own with a group of participants
- Assist throughout the days’ events
- Activity planning and implementation
- Meet weekly with the Transition Programs Assistant, one-one-one and staff meetings
- Meet every week with the SB staff to debrief on the program and how students are doing
- Assist the TPA in gathering data for reports
- Facilitate group activities in Roundtable meetings
- Assist presenters at workshops, seminars, and lectures with any logistical tasks – help set up presentations, help pass out materials, ensure students are attentive (not playing with phone or having side-conversations, etc.)
- Assist the TPA in preparation for the Closing Program
- Contribute to program assessment efforts, provide Champion position feedback, assist in collecting data for program assessment
- Assist with planning, preparation, and implementation activities
- Assist in monitoring study and tutoring rooms, and tracking students (make sure they are where they need to be; if they leave a room, monitor that they return within reasonable time)
- Monitor students at the BRIC during physical and meditation/relaxation activities
- Assist with everyday logistics
- Accompany students to health center when necessary
- Collaborate with Residence Life Team
- Represent Summer Bridge, EOP, and Student Support and Equity Programs in a positive light to participants and guests at all times
- Role model positive behavior and the following of rules and regulations
- Maintain appropriate boundaries with Summer Bridge participants as a student leader representing the program, department, and university
- Other duties as assigned by TPA and program coordinator
- Cal Poly Pomona student
- High work ethic; willing to engage in all aspects of the program, with the team of SB Champions, and with student participants
- Minimum Cal Poly Pomona cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Sensitivity and appreciation of students from diverse backgrounds, and ability to work with groups of 30-150 students
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions, and perform tasks appropriate for the position
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to handle stressful situations effectively
- Ability taking initiative on developing programs and coordinating student activities
- Ability to work harmoniously with colleagues, work in teams, challenge self to form connections with others
- Must NOT be enrolled in classes or have other obligations during the periods of SB Champion trainings, the Summer Bridge Program, and debrief/evaluation day
- Experience working with students in group settings, experience enforcing rules and policies, flexibility (being open to changes during program), basic experience with assessment activities, an understanding of low-income, first generation student experiences
HOW TO APPLY:
- Submit an application - follow this link to access the application: Summer Bridge Champion Application
- You are required to have TWO online Student Applicant Reference Forms submitted on your behalf.
- The references MUST come from professional individuals (e.g., professors, employers, teachers, supervisors of volunteer activities);
- They cannot come from family or friends, or peers of any kind (co-workers, classmates, etc.).
- The link to the online reference form will be given to you through the application. You must agree to waive your right to see the reference information that people submit for you to apply for this position and to get the link to the Student Applicant Reference Form.
- You will be asked to upload an updated resume.
- Submit the application by Tuesday, May 23, 11:59 p.m.
If you have any questions, feel free to email Moises Alvarado at firstname.lastname@example.org or call him at 909.869.3226.