At a Glance: Cal Poly Pomona’s
- Established in 1963
- Offering three curriculum programs: Music Industry Studies, Music Education, Music Performance
- Accredited by the National Association Schools of Music
- Music Education program accredited by the State Commission on Teacher Credentialing
- Internship placements with Sony Music Publishing, ASCAP, Universal Music Distribution, among others
- Jazz Band selected to perform at the Monterey Jazz Festival
- About 285 majors
- More than 6,600 students — one-third of our richly diverse student body — participate in the program.
- Music majors receive hands-on experiences through internships, field experiences in teaching, and master classes with renowned artists.
Faculty and Special Guest Artists
- Eight full-time professors specialize in choral music, conducting, music education, music industry studies, composition, instrumental music, voice, commercial music, jazz, strings, piano studies, audio technology, music theory and guitar.
- Renowned performance artists on faculty include pianist Nadia Shpachenko, guitarist Peter Yates and choral conductor Iris S. Levine.
- More than 30 music industry adjunct faculty teach courses in their area of expertise and offer applied studio lessons.
- An array of guest artists perform in recitals and teach master classes in piano, guitar, voice, percussion, strings, songwriting, soul music, collaborative arts and more. Guest artists have included pianist Jerome Lowenthal, a professor at the Juilliard School of Music; violinist Martin Chalifour, principal concertmaster with the Los Angeles Philharmonic; Broadway star Susan Egan; percussionist Raynor Carroll, principal percussionist with the Los Angeles Philharmonic; jazz pianist Michael Garson, most notable for his work with David Bowie; and Grammy Award-winning songwriter and vocalist Siedah Garrett.
- Nearly 70 concerts per year, including faculty artist concerts, guest artists, the singer songwriter student showcase and ensemble class concerts
- 5 teaching classrooms
- 3 teaching studios
- 19 practice rooms
- 2 recording studios with control rooms and tracking rooms
- 24-station computer lab for Music Technology
- Music Recital Hall that seats 172
For more information about Cal Poly Pomona’s Music Department,
please visit www.cpp.edu/~class/music