I am nominating: Lynn McClelland
Years of Service at Cal Poly: 34
Department: Office of the Registrar, Office of the Registrar
Position: Records Specialist
Why are you nominating this person? Why do you think he/she deserves the award?
It is hard to put into writing the great experiences that Lynn McClelland has experienced here at Cal Poly Pomona in her 34 years. Records have gone from microfiche to electronic images. She has continuously put students as her number one priority. The faces and personalities that she has touched is what make her a qualified and recognized candidate for this humbling award. Over the years, Lynn has had many challenges, obstacles and personal struggles. It is the way that she has carried herself through those hard times, that makes her the genuine person she is today.
In what way(s) does this person enhance or contribute to the Cal Poly Pomona campus community?
When she retires in about 8 months, the amount of institutional knowledge that will go with her is amazing. She has been in delegated head of the Records Vault Process and, has managed her daily work load in the process. She even sacrifices time at home with family to stay late or come in on weekends to complete the projects of the office. Due to the States budget, the Office of the Registrar has no doubt been short- handed and understaffed for some time. But instead of partaking in unpleasant poor talk of our campus budget and unfortunate circumstances, Lynn keeps a positive and pleasant manner about her, which is always directed to our wonderful students. She will be missed by her fellow staff members as she spends her new found time with family and friends.
Please select 2 of the 6 Division of Student Affairs values for which your nominee best exemplifies:
Student-Centered Philosophy, Interconnectedness Please share how your nominee exemplifies value #1:
1. She genuinely cares whether or not a student is successful
2. She treats each person at the counter with respect and courtesy, when others may not dhow the same.
3. She takes the time to make sure a students needs are met and done properly, to avoid revisiting the same issues.
4.Her smile and tone of voice calms the situation at hand, which allows the student to effectively express their problem without aggressive means.
Please share how your nominee exemplifies value #2:
1. She tries to reach out to others around her to exert positive energy and boost office morale.
2. She understands and is patient with students who request that a transcript be processed for an interview or career needs, that she makes every effort to help with their request.
3. She is first to celebrate someone’s day or the holidays by sharing her baking goodies and treats for the office to enjoy.