Skip To Main Content


Q: How do I report an academic integrity violation?
Faculty can report an academic integrity violation by clicking “How to Report an Incident” on the navigation bar to the left. Click the appropriate link to take you to the online reporting tool. You may also click the “Faculty” tab on the navigation bar for more resources about confronting cheating and how to handle an academic integrity violation.

Q: What happens if a student withdraws from my class before a violation is reported?
If a student withdraws from a class before the instructor has a chance to submit an incident report, faculty still needs to submit the report to Student Conduct & Integrity via the regular process. Please make a note on the incident report that the student either withdrew or tried to withdraw from the class so we may note it for our records. If a student requests permission to withdraw, our office does not suggest that the professor approves the request. (After the first week of classes, withdrawal request approvals require the recommendation of the student’s College Dean or his/her designee and the approval of the Associate Vice President for Academic Programs.)

Q: What appears on the academic transcript when I report a student for an academic integrity violation?
If the student is found responsible for an academic integrity violation and is placed on disciplinary probation or suspension, an annotation will be placed on the transcript during the duration of the probation or suspension. Students who are found responsible for academic dishonesty are not eligible for “Grade Forgiveness” for the grade received in the class in which the academic integrity violation was committed.

Q: I discovered a violation and it is the end of the semester. What grade should I assign?
The grade assigned is at the discretion of the instructor. If the instructor would like to wait to assign a grade once the outcome of the case is determined in Student Conduct & Integrity, the instructor may assign a grade of “RD” (report delayed). The instructor may take Judicial Affair’s findings into consideration when assigning a grade. Instructors may also assign an appropriate letter grade as they see fit.

Q: What is the time limit to turn in a case?
While there is no official time limit or due date for an incident report to be turned in, our office highly suggests faculty report incidents to Student Conduct & Integrity via the online reporting tool as soon as possible. It is in the student’s and the professor’s best interest to submit an incident report immediately.

Q: Do I need to have a discussion with the student before I submit the report?
The Office of Student Conduct & Integrity prefers that the professor communicates in some way with the student about the incident. While we prefer the professor speak to the student in person, some professors choose to compose an email to the student so they are not taken aback when they receive an email from Student Conduct & Integrity.

Q: If am not requesting that further action be taken by the university, do I still have to submit a report?
Yes, all incidents must be reported.  Please note what actions you have taken and the communication you have had with the student on the incident report. Professors who request no further action to be taken will be professors who a) have already had communication with the student, (b) explained to the student why there is a violation and why violating the conduct code is wrong, (c) will have determined if the student had proper resources when the violation occurred, (d) have ensured the student currently has proper resources after the incident.

Q: Will I be informed of the outcome and sanctions determined by the Office of Student Conduct & Integrity?
Yes, faculty will be informed of the outcome when the case has been resolved.

Q: What happens if I report a student for academic dishonesty, but Student Conduct & Integrity finds the student not responsible?
In the unlikely event that this situation occurs, our office would inform the professor that the student was not found responsible for a violation. The student may then submit a grade appeal to the professor if the professor had a assigned a lower grade as a result of academic dishonesty.