Skip To Content

Veterans Benefits, Step 1

As an active military service member, veteran or dependent of someone who has served our country, you may be entitled to certain educational benefits and/or qualify for financial aid or other types of funding to make your college education affordable.

Step 1: Knowing your educational benefits

Cal Poly Pomona students eligible for Department of Defense or veteran benefits may seek consultation and approval from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) directly. Information regarding benefits, including benefit comparisons and applications, is available on the GI Bill website. You may also call the VA Education Assistance hotline at (888) GIBILL1 or (888) 442-4551. Once you understand which benefit you qualify for and receive a notice of eligibility from the VA, visit the school certifying officials in the Registrar’s Office for assistance with establishing your educational benefits at Cal Poly Pomona.

Educational “chapter” benefits defined 

Veteran educational benefits are broadly defined by when and how long you, your spouse or a parent (if you are a dependent) served in the armed forces. For a complete list of veteran educational benefits, refer to the Veteran Affairs website.

Other VA benefits

Fee waiver

The California College Fee Waiver (CFW) program benefits the spouse and children of U.S. veterans who are California residents. Qualified students may have their college state fees waived if they attend a California community college, California State University, or University of California campus. Applications for this program are submitted to your local county Veterans Services Office.

The fee waivers are processed directly through Student Accounts. Once approved, your waiver eligibility forms should be faxed directly to Student Accounts at (909) 869-5354. Questions regarding the waiver may be directed to Student Accounting & Cashiering Services at (909)869-2010 or

Tuition assistance

Armed Forces Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit paid to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard. Congress has provided each service the ability to pay up to 100% of the tuition expenses of its members. Each service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process and restrictions. This funding is usually paid directly to the institution by the individual services. For more information, visit

Veteran work study

If you are a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree program or a vocational or professional program, you can "earn while you learn" with a VA work-study allowance. The VA work-study allowance is available to persons training under one of the VA benefit programs: GI Bill, Vocational Rehabilitation (for Veterans), VEAP, DEA. Dependents may also be eligible. Additional information is available through the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs.

Tutorial assistance

The Tutorial Assistance Program is available if you receive VA educational assistance at a half-time rate or more and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary. If you have questions please contact this program toll-free, (888) 442-4551.


CSU undergraduate and graduate students who are members of the U.S. armed forces stationed in California on active duty are entitled to California resident classification for the purpose of determining the amount of tuition and fees. (This is not available to members of the armed forces assigned for educational purposes to a state-supported institution of higher education.) Undergraduates are eligible as long as they are stationed in California as an active member of the military; active duty graduate students are entitled to resident reclassification for a maximum of two years.

If you have been discharged from the military, you may be eligible provided that you were stationed in California on active duty for more than one year immediately prior to being discharged.

Dependents of active military personnel may also qualify for resident classification for fee purposes provided they meet specific criteria.

For more information, you may visit Residency or complete a CSU Residence Reclassification Request Form(PDF).

Click here for more information (Step 2)

Contact Us

Mo - Fr 8 am - 5 pm

Veterans Resource Center

Ask Billy

Ask Billy