History 408 History of American Science and Technology
Smith, 267-311; Hughes, 184-203
1. What¡¯s new and striking to you in the readings on this topic in Smith and in Hughes?
2. What did Frederick Taylor mean when he claimed that ¡°in the past, the man has been first; in the future the system must be first¡±?
3. What was Taylor¡¯s scientific management designed to accomplish?
4. Did every one welcome or oppose Taylorism? Managers vs. workers? Men vs. Women?
5. Do you still see Taylorism in practice today? In the place you work?
6. Do you find the readings helpful? Questions and comments? Any relevant news items or website?