Frequently Asked Questions

Please refer to the information provided on our Eligibility webpage at or contact Benefits at (909) 869-3734 or 3735.

As of January 16, 2021 there is a new way to submit your request for service credit and that is by going online to your CalPERS Account. To request online, log in to myCalPERS. You will need to create an account if you have not done so already. Go to the Retirement tab, select Service Credit Purchase followed by the Search for Purchase Options button. Here, you will be prompted to answer a series of questions to help determine which service credit types you may be eligible to purchase. You can then request the cost for any available purchase options.

There are several benefits to requesting your service credit purchase online, including:

· Reduced processing time for requests
· Increase in process efficiency
· Easily and securely submit your request at your convenience, 24 hours a day
· Ability to monitor the status of your request from start to finish
· Ability to easily submit any additional required documents online

Once you submit your service credit purchase request, you can view the status through your myCalPERS account. Go to the Retirement tab, select Service Credit Purchase and view Your Requests, where you can see your status and request date. The State Controller’s Office will be notified of your request for Service Credit Purchase and should complete the process.

You have 60 days from the date of marriage or registering for domestic partnership to add your spouse/domestic-partner and/or stepchild(ren) to your health coverage (medical/dental/vision). You must provide a copy of your marriage certificate or declaration of domestic partnership as well as your dependents’ social security numbers. If enrolling stepchild(ren), you must provide copies of their birth certification and social security numbers and sign the appropriate document(s) prior to the coverage going into effect.

You have 60 days from the date of birth or adoption placement to add a child to your medical and/or dental coverage. You will need to provide the copy of birth certificate and social security number for each child.

Dependent children may be covered up to age 26 regardless if married and living away from home. Student status doesn't’t apply to CSU dependents. However, the dependent child’s spouse and the children are not eligible dependents. If disabled, special rules apply. Please contact the Benefits Office for information regarding enrolling a disabled child.

No. Even if totally dependent on the employee, parents and/or grand parents are not eligible dependents. Therefore they can’t be added to your coverage.

Medical, Dental & Vision coverage is effective through the end of the following month in which you resign or the appointment ends. If you work a few days into a pay period, the State Controller's Office will deduct any required premiums as long as there is enough net pay to cover that premium. For example, if you resign on March 5th, your coverage will be effective through the end of April.

Yes. COBRA Continuation Coverage provides you the option of continuing your medical, dental and/or vision plans for up to 18 months (or longer in some cases). You would be responsible for paying the entire premium amount to the carriers, plus a 2% administrative fee. The provisions of COBRA also apply to dependents who lose coverage. You will also have an option to find a private coverage on your own. Please contact the Benefits Office for further information.

Effective 2018, employees must verify dependent eligibility every three years.  The Dependent Re-verification (DRV) is the process of re-verifying the eligibility of your spouse, domestic partner, children, stepchildren and domestic partner children (family members) enrolled for state health and dental benefits.  Click here for further information.

You can find information on these programs and how to participate through your CSYou benefits portal at

Vision care is administered by Vision Service Plan (VSP). Please visit the Vision page on the Benefits website for additional information.  Vision Service Plan’s toll-free number:  (800) 877-7195 (group #30059426)  Website:

The vision group number is 30059426.

The Delta Dental Plan group number is 4018.

The Delta Care USA group number is 02034-0005/Enhanced and 02034-0001/Basic.

If you would like to continue your group benefits, you may do so by completing the COBRA election form; this form is available in the Benefits Office.

Dependent children are covered until through the end of the month in which they attain age 26.

Yes, you may apply for COBRA for your dependent child. You may continue their insurance for a maximum of thirty-six (36) months and pay directly to the insurance carrier. The enrollment into COBRA must be requested through the Benefits Services. You will also have an option to purchase coverage privately in order to get more economical rate(s).

No, you may enroll in benefits prior to attending a Benefits Information Session. The effective date of your coverage can’t be any earlier than the first of the following month after you submit your enrollment request. Also you will have 60 days from the date of your appointment to enroll in benefits; there is no retroactive coverage available.

Your medical and dental benefits begin the first of the month following your date of hire provided that the Benefits office received the enrollment worksheet before the end of the month that you were hired. Example: Your date of hire was on September 2nd, if Benefits received your worksheet before September 30th, you can enroll in medical and dental benefits effective October 1st and all other benefits (FlexCash in lieu of medical/dental, vision, life, etc.) will be effective November 1st.

Yes, if you are eligible for FlexCash and elect it, you can still enroll in a dental plan for you and your eligible dependents, even if you waive your right to enroll in a health plan.

Yes, HCRA/DCRA enrollment is good for one calendar year and you must re-enroll during open enrollment in order to continue enrollment for the following calendar year.

  • View monthly Health Plan Rates (premiums) 2020, 2021

The benefits office  will need some more information to add your newborn.  Please submit a Benefits Enrollment Worksheet on PolyDoc by logging in with your CPP credentials.  CLICK HERE to login to PolyDoc.  We will need your baby’s name, relationship (please use the drop down arrow and choose “newborn”), gender, birth date and check the boxes for Medical and Dental to add her to both plans. We will also need you to upload your newborns birth certificate Your baby is automatically covered for one month after the date of birth.  Newborns are a mandatory enrollment, meaning that newborns are enrolled the first day following their birth month.

For information regarding 1095-B please visit the CALHR website

You should have received a copy from the state controllers office between January 31st and March 2nd, 2021. If you have not received your 1095-C, please contact the benefits department at

You will lose eligibility if you fall below 6 units in any semester.  For example, if you enrolled into benefits for the Spring, your benefits would be effective through the end of August. Benefits will be canceled as of September 1st

Childcare benefits (PDF) and other useful benefits can be found in the Econmic section of the Wellbeing webiste. 

 Your employer’s contract may allow you to convert any unused sick leave and/or educational leave hours to service credit when you retire. You must retire within 120 days from your last day of employment for this to apply. Eight hours of sick leave or educational leave = 1 day of service credit, or 0.004 years of service credit. The conversion formula can be found on page 8 of the CaLPERS Planning Your Service Retirement Booklet.

Using your Cal Poly Pomona email account, send a request to canceled to:

Simply request to terminate the specific coverage