Fall 2020 & Spring 2021 Virtual Internships
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, Cal Poly Pomona requires that all internships for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 be virtual. A virtual internship is one that does not require any kind of face to face, in-person meeting during the fifteen weeks of the 2020-2021 Academic year semester, August 17 – December 6, 2020. For this reason, students cannot take face to face, in-person internships for Cal Poly Pomona credit during Fall 2020.
Given this virtual internship requirement, I am providing the following options to you:
1. Please find a virtual internship. If you already found a face to face, in-person internship, please contact the organization providing the internship and see if the internship can be modified so it is 100% virtual.
If you do not have a virtual internship yet, or if your current internship cannot be modified to a virtual internship, please use the following resources to find a virtual internship:
2. Once you find a virtual internship, please follow the following steps:
a. Fill the following form, make sure it is filled as a virtual intersnhip: https://www.cpp.edu/cba/management-and-human-resources/documents/mhr-internship-form.pdf.
This form must be submitted by the student to email@example.com
b. Ask your supervisor to fill the form in this link: Virtual Internship Document
IMPORTANT: This form must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org directly from your supervisor and from his(her) work email account. It cannot come from you.
c. Both forms must be sent to email@example.com no later than August 10, 2020 (for students enrolling in Fall 2020) or January 4, 2021 (for students enrolling in Spring 2021).
I apologize for this virtual internship requirement. We are living in uncertain times. Please know that I am here to help. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or attend my Zoom office hours. You can find information about my office hours in the website of the MHR Department or via email through updates coming from email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Internship is the integration of classroom theory and practical experience in a planned mentorship program. Accordingly, MHR students doing an internship must work closely with a mentor who will teach them how to be a professional. This mentorship is important. While the virtual internship program is based upon the interests and needs of both the student and the employer, there must be an element of apprenticeship and learning. During the internship students should work in a field related to their area of emphasis (i.e. Management, Entrepreneurship, or Human Resources).
If you are working with an organization that does not have a structured internship program, and therefore no mentorship, you may wish to provide them with the following documents to develop an internship opportunity that would be eligible for course credit in the MHR Department.
- DOL Internship Guidelines (PDF)
- Internship Best Practices (PDF)
- Sample Internship/Job Description (PDF)
If you have any questions about virtual internship, please contact Dr. Carlos Gonzalez, the MHR Department Chair during his office hours or via email at email@example.com. Office hours are posted on the MHR website.
Each semester the MHR Department holds TWO informational meetings regarding internship and senior project. Students are strongly encouraged to attend one of these meetings. For meeting information please follow us on Twitter, Facebook, pay attention to your e-mails, or come to the MHR Department.
MHR students are required to complete 3 units of either internship or senior project in order to graduate. Students have two internship options, part-time internship (MHR 4410) or full-time internship (MHR 4420).
1) Part-time virtual internship: MHR 4410 (1 or 2 units) – Students must work at their internship for a minimum of 18 hours per week during the semester in which they are enrolled. Students must intern in a second semester in order to complete 3 units, either at the same internship location or with a different organization.
2) Full -time virtual internship: MHR 4420 (3 units) - Students must work at their internship for a minimum of 36 hours per week during the semester in which they are enrolled.
3) Students must enroll in the internship class (MHR 4410, MHR 4420) and work in their internship at the same time. Students cannot do an internship first and enroll in the class later.