Air Quality


EH&S is involved in air quality related concerns that span two separate categories, both indoor and outdoor air quality.

Indoor Air Quality

A large focus of EH&S with regards to air quality is focused on the topic of indoor air quality simply due to the fact that a vast majority of University employees work within campus facilities or buildings. While concerns often range from temperature fluctuations, to strange odors, EH&S typically responds to concerns that present health and/or safety concerns to employees. A large amount of indoor air quality issues are ultimately referred to Facilities Management due to the involvement of the cooling/heating systems (HVAC).

Nuisance Odors:

Nuisance odors are smells or odors not associated with any health effects. For nuisance odors like burning food, perfumes etc. please contact Facilities Management Customer Service to make a request to HVAC to address the area. Typically, most moderate nuisance odors will dissipate within 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on the number of air changes per hour in your building.

Non-Nuisance Odors:

Non-nuisance odors are characterized by odors that are causing health related issues such as burning eyes, burning nasal passages, burning/scratchy throat or general eye, nasal, throat irritation etc. These types of concerns should be addressed to EH&S.

Examples are odors that cause discomfort or characterized by health related symptoms such as burning eyes, burning nose etc.

Outdoor Air Quality

Concerns regarding outdoor air quality primarily involve odors being carried into a campus facility or building but another focus is the campus' emissions into the environment and mitigating or reducing the amount of pollution being generated. Within this category includes the oversight of campus boilers as well as emergency generators. These types of equipment generate atmospheric emissions that are regulated by the Air Resources Board (ARB) and South Coast Air Quality Management District (SC-AQMD) and the campus maintains current permits for the operation of regulated equipment. For information regarding permits, see the link below. For additional information regarding regulated equipment, please contact EH&S with the link provided.

Permits Contact Us