These sessions are open-ended times to share ideas, questions, and strategies with other faculty. No registration needed, just click the link to join in.
Programs and Events
Cal Poly Pomona's evaluation of faculty teaching has a really excellent feature — peer review. We don't rely just on student ratings of teaching, we ask our colleagues to give us feedback, too.
But, it's a lot of work to review someone's teaching! If reviews are not done well, the work is wasted at best... and maybe problems arise, in a worse situation. Reviewing in our new remote world is both similar to and different from reviewing face to face.
This session will provide tools and topics of conversation. We'll cover:
- An introduction to the research on peer observation, drawing a distinction between formative and summative reviews
- A productive step-by-step process for remote settings
- Examples of instruments for remote course review
- A discussion of issues for departments to consider to make the remote peer review experience as useful as possible
Who should consider attending? Anyone who does peer observations of another faculty member's teaching.
Gradescope makes it EASY to grade handwritten work by students and is especially good for STEM and quantitative classes. Learn how other instructors use Gradescope and get guidance on how to deliver assessments remotely and outline various options to meet your immediate needs.
Welcome to Cal Poly Pomona! Our Lecturer Faculty Orientation, with two opportunities to attend, is a great time to learn about the university and meet new colleagues.
- Meet and begin to form relationships
- Collect information about Cal Poly Pomona's policies, resources, and procedures
- Make decisions regarding teaching
- Learn about your contract
- Feel valued and welcomed
There are two opportunities to attend, Tuesday August 18 and Wednesday August 19.
Select portions of the program may be recorded.
To get specific date and time information, as well as register, please contact Victoria Bhavsar, the director of the Center for the Advancement of Faculty Excellence.