Submitting Tax Return Documents

Required Tax Return Documents for your To Do List

If our office is requesting you submit tax return documents it means you stated on your financial aid application that yourself or your parent filed taxes for the given tax year. You have several options for submission. 

Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (FAFSA Filers Only)

Use the IRS data retrieval tool (DRT) to automatically populate your and your parents’ (if you are a dependent student) tax information directly from the IRS into your FAFSA. Just log into your FAFSA and select Make a Correction to use the IRS DRT.  The DRT will allow you to link to the IRS from the FAFSA and retrieve the tax information to answer the FAFSA tax questions.  If you choose to use the DRT, it will be removed from your To Do list about 2 to 3 weeks after you correct and resubmit your FAFSA. Some students and/or parents will be ineligible or will choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT).  In these cases, the tax return transcript or a copy of a signed tax return will be accepted as documentation to verify tax information.  

Signed Copy of Tax Return (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ)

A signed copy of a Federal Tax Return satisfies the requiest for a Tax Return Document found on your to-do list. If you choose to provide our office with this document, make sure the federal tax return you submit is for the requested year, is signed, and has all corresponding schedules attached (when applicable).

Tax Return Transcripts

If you were asked to submit a copy of your tax return documents and have chosen not to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool on the FAFSA or were unable to use this tool, please request transcripts from the IRS using one of the methods below. 

Online retrieval:

  1. Visit
  2. Select Get Your Tax Record
  3. Determine whether you can get transcript online or whether you will need to request document be mailed to your home.
    1. In order to create an account for the person whose tax transcripts we are requesting you will need:
      1. their SSN, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from latest tax return
      2. access to the email account, a personal account number from a credit card, mortgage, home equity loan, home equity line of credit or car loan, and a mobile phone with their name on the account.
    2. In order to request to receive transcript by mail you will need:
      1. SSN or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), date of birth, mailing address from latest tax return
      2. Be sure to request a tax return transcript for the requested year

Phone retrieval:

  1. Call (800) 908-9946
  2. You will need: SSN, Address, Press 2 for tax transcript, then specify year

Mail your Request:

  1. Submit a Form 4506-T to the IRS at the address or fax number provided in the instructions.

If your address changed since you filed your last tax return and it doesn't match IRS records, don’t use your old address. The transcript won’t be forwarded to you. You need to file Form 8822, Change of Address, before you submit Form 4506-T. Generally, it takes four to six weeks to process a change of address.

Visit a Local IRS Tax Payer Assistance Center:

Contact Your Local IRS Tax Payer Assistance Center to make an appointment to go in and pick up your Tax Return Transcript in-person. 

  • Since Not all IRS Tax Payer Assistance Centers are equipped for in-person Tax Return Transcript service, please call your the center to confirm this service is available. 
  • To find your local Tax Payer Assistance Center:
  • Below are the four most local offices to Cal Poly Pomona:
    1. El Monte – 9350 East Flair Dr. El Monte, CA 91731 – (626) 927-1201
    2. Santa Ana – 801 Civic Center Drive W Santa Ana, CA 92701 – (657) 247-3438
    3. Los Angeles – 300 N. Los Angeles St. Los Angeles, CA 90012 – (213) 576-3009
    4. San Bernardino – 290 N. D St. San Bernardino, CA 92401 – (909) 388-8108