Repeat Coursework Policies
Repeat Coursework and Federal Aid Eligibility
Federal regulations stipulate that financial aid may only be awarded to an undergraduate, graduate, or a professional student once for a previously passed course (i.e., one repetition per class). The Cal Poly Pomona Repetition of Courses Policy and Grade Forgiveness Policy do not apply when determining if the repeat coursework is eligible for financial aid.
Effective July 1, 2016, federal regulations have changed the Financial Aid Repeat Policy to include graduate or professional students.
Repeat Policy Conditions
- If a student repeats a course that is not eligible for financial aid, a recalculation of aid is completed to exclude the credits for the repeated course
- The policy applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course
- All repeated courses are counted as attempted units for Satisfactory Academic Progress
What is a Passing Grade?
For financial aid, any grade higher than an “F” will be considered to have passed the course.
NOTE: This is regardless of any university or major program policy requiring a higher grade or measure for academic purposes.
- Passing grades are: “A”, “B”, “C”, “D”, “CR” (Credit) or “Pass”
- Not passing grades are: “NC” (No Credit), “I,” “W,” “WU,” “F”
|1st Attempt||2nd Attempt||3rd Attempt||Is the Enrolled Attempt
Eligible for Aid?
- The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships will adjust your financial aid accordingly and will send you a notification email regarding the adjustment
- Adjustments may result in the repayment of aid. You will be notified regarding repayment of aid, if any owed due to repeated coursework
- You have the option to change your enrollment, from late registration thru Census
- A financial aid hold may be placed on your account preventing disbursement of all aid and you will be required to meet with a Financial Aid Counselor
- We will verify, after Census, financial aid eligibility based on your current enrollment. This may result in the reinstatement of aid previously adjusted.